Pricing to fell a tree

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm trying to post a thread and can't find the button for It help please many thanks Richard

Click on the forum you want to use i.e. General Chat and look at the top left of the forum coumn where you will see a button "New Thread"

Cheers

mac

Its a funny one really makes you think how others can run a lot cheaper outfits :/

It would be interesting to watch how others who quote significantly lower would do the job and what standard they would operate at.

If an air ballon could actually manage to dismantle a tree I would buy one in a heart beat :D i was thinking once when working with conifers near an RAF base to ask them if they would like to do a bit of training with their chinooks and lift the conifers out in one and fly them away lol

Here we go! They are much cheaper ergo they are of a lower standard.

750 quid is not bad for a days work and is sounds like these guys will do it in a day. Maybe they've got better machinery, are more efficient ,work harder or are more skilled.

I don't know but the old chestnut that they must be Cowboys is kidding yourself.

Here we go! They are much cheaper ergo they are of a lower standard.

750 quid is not bad for a days work and is sounds like these guys will do it in a day. Maybe they've got better machinery, are more efficient ,work harder or are more skilled.

I don't know but the old chestnut that they must be Cowboys is kidding yourself.

:thumbup:

If the other firm can do the job for a lower price at a profit then fair play to them. You should look at what enables them get the job done faster and cheaper.

If they cannot make a profit on the price they've quoted then walk away and let them make their loss.

No point matching their quote to get the job if it won't benefit you.

It's the same old story that comes up on here time after time, if you have been running your own outfit for a while and you know your pricing is usually right then price it at what you want for the job and walk away. If you want the job and can do it to match or beat the other quote then do that. I have had a customer get me to look at the job and tell me he has been quoted x to do the job whereas in reality he hadn't had a quote he had it in his head that's all he wanted to spend. I know firms round my way that charge so little for jobs just to get work and get a start but the problem comes when they hit a problem or they then put the price up in the future. Remember on big jobs there are lots of things that can happen to take the profit if any out of the job. Chugging down with the 880 and you hit a bit of metal and knacker the chain or accidentally drop a branch and it hits something etc,etc.

Set your price and go for it.

It's the same old story that comes up on here time after time, if you have been running your own outfit for a while and you know your pricing is usually right then price it at what you want for the job and walk away. If you want the job and can do it to match or beat the other quote then do that. I have had a customer get me to look at the job and tell me he has been quoted x to do the job whereas in reality he hadn't had a quote he had it in his head that's all he wanted to spend. I know firms round my way that charge so little for jobs just to get work and get a start but the problem comes when they hit a problem or they then put the price up in the future. Remember on big jobs there are lots of things that can happen to take the profit if any out of the job. Chugging down with the 880 and you hit a bit of metal and knacker the chain or accidentally drop a branch and it hits something etc,etc.

Set your price and go for it.

Seems to me aswel you are missing a massive reduction in price when quoting against newish businesses like me im not vat registered so if our overheads are the same and we want to make the same in the customers eyes I'm imidatly 20% cheaper this is a massive price difference for the customer and would probably be the difference between getting the job and not getting the job

£750 for a day's work is a winner!

A lot of people who have set up are guys who have been lead climbers for big firms making £120-150 a day if after they have payed labour and fuel they have £500 a day for themselves and buisness and they are probably used to doing two trees that size in a day.

Work out your price and stick to it IMO! I recently priced to take two big oaks down for my partners uncle and said I was too expensive and he will get more quotes, I said ok! But I won't be lowering my price as I priced it right because he was family!

Seems to me aswel you are missing a massive reduction in price when quoting against newish businesses like me im not vat registered so if our overheads are the same and we want to make the same in the customers eyes I'm imidatly 20% cheaper this is a massive price difference for the customer and would probably be the difference between getting the job and not getting the job

If I'm vat reg my overheads are going to be 20% cheaper as I can get the VAT back on most of my overheads where you can't. Also due to the amount I can get back which in turn lowers my running costs which in turn lowers my costs and daily rate I can be pretty much in the same ball park as you.

I think we all come into this at some point, but I remember back to when I first started out and with not a clue. me and my mate would happily have chugged away for a week at 750. we had no/little overheads, borrowed equipment and keen as mustard just to do the job especially the opportunity to work on a big tree!. we really had no clue what we were worth. sometimes I miss those days, but not often.