Ivy on mature oak trees

TIMON

I thought it was gradually being accepted that ivy is benefical overall as it's non parasitic to the tree and just uses the tree for support. I remember doing searches on ivy and over the years the opinion seems to be changing to "leave it" unless you need visual inspection of the tree or the tree is exposed to strong wind because of the enourmous amount of wildlife it supports. Oaks have a very high wildlife support function and with ivy this increases even more. I tend to leave now tbh.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Taken ivy off a number of trees up here when they were in danger of being completely swamped by the stuff. In a woodland perhaps it's fine to leave for habitat, but anywhere else surely maintaining the health of the tree outweighs the wildlife entertained? Especially roadside trees.

Use a Silky and an MS150 as weapons of choice.

Sorry but why are you assuming that Ivy kills oak trees? I've never seen any evidence of that. Young trees carry ivy happily, old nearly dead trees die leaving the ivy behind. Its such an important wildlife habitat, you need a good and genuine reason to remove it.

Its a competition for resources thing, ivy covering any tree will eventually out compete it for light

I'd say 80% of the highways call outs I attended this year were ivy covered trees, it increases the.sale affect within the trees crown by such a high amount any defect within the tree that normally wouldn't be too much of a problem can't cope anymore

I'm sure at 1 point a queen of England ruled that ivy was not allowed to grow up roadside oaks and landowners were responsible for keeping it under control, or something like that?

what about managing the ivy rather than trying to bosch it. ivy thin and reduction - 40%? and then feel right good about yourself. Done similar work for our local authority nice climb once you are above it, no wobbly tip work or angry bitey thing to worry about - quick easy stuff cutting wherever is easy to reach. do one tree a year starting with the worst?

what about managing the ivy rather than trying to bosch it. ivy thin and reduction - 40%? and then feel right good about yourself. Done similar work for our local authority nice climb once you are above it, no wobbly tip work or angry bitey thing to worry about - quick easy stuff cutting wherever is easy to reach. DO ONE TREE A YEAR starting with the worst?

Easy it takes this long, like 4th rail bridge, it grows as quickly as you thin it!

And the evidence for "Its a competition for resources thing, ivy covering any tree will eventually out compete it for light"??? I know that historically people have been anti it but apart from the sail affect, I've not seen any evidence that it does damage. Anecdote is not evidence.

I've seen some fairly deep wounds on limbs when thick ivy has really swamped a tree.

A compromise would be to sever the ivy just below the crown break, remove everything above, but leave it on the stem.

You'll have to keep on top of it mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Sorry but why are you assuming that Ivy kills oak trees? I've never seen any evidence of that. Young trees carry ivy happily, old nearly dead trees die leaving the ivy behind. Its such an important wildlife habitat, you need a good and genuine reason to remove it.

"I don't like the look of it" is good enough reason.

"It harbours too many wood pigeons" is an even better one!

I'd say my anecdotal evidence that it harms trees is just as good as your anecdotal evidence that it doesn't. :)