College and what the industry really needs

MWArb

This is interesting! I'm starting to apply to colleges and I would say that selecting an appropriate college is often an overwhelming task. Basically, cost should always be an issue in college selection, though a fair number of students know about this. A recent survey of recent freshmen by researchers from UCLA found it is becoming a very big factor in their selection of alma mater.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No forestry and arb courses,

Either forestry or arb

both sectors are completely different to each other, but do cross over.

This means they should gain more knowledge towards what they want to become in the real world and actually get real world experience of what the job involves. No hyped up wages from colleges, just as you have a few tickets doesn't mean you expect 100 a day!! its all about knowledge and experience which costs time and they must understand that if they don't they wont go far.

the end product should be either a tree surgeon or a cutter/machine operator.

This will also mean there will be a clear understanding to potential employers in what the have been trained in.

This is interesting! I'm starting to apply to colleges and I would say that selecting an appropriate college is often an overwhelming task. Basically, cost should always be an issue in college selection, though a fair number of students know about this. A recent survey of recent freshmen by researchers from UCLA found it is becoming a very big factor in their selection of alma mater.

Cost is something I can't affect, we'd all like education to be cheaper for sure.

No forestry and arb courses,

Either forestry or arb

both sectors are completely different to each other, but do cross over.

This means they should gain more knowledge towards what they want to become in the real world and actually get real world experience of what the job involves. No hyped up wages from colleges, just as you have a few tickets doesn't mean you expect 100 a day!! its all about knowledge and experience which costs time and they must understand that if they don't they wont go far.

the end product should be either a tree surgeon or a cutter/machine operator.

This will also mean there will be a clear understanding to potential employers in what the have been trained in.

This is something that has to be considered.. as far as I'm aware, student numbers meant that combining the courses kept them on the calendar.. I think perhaps each subject is deep enough to split, its down to signup numbers wether or not we can feasibly do it... personally I feel students would benefit.

Most people think NPTC certs are more important than an actual education in arboriculture which I find a shame, I also feel NPTC needs a shake up its far to easy to become competent when the sad fact is they're far from it.

I would like to see 4 days collage and one day's work experience then you can intergrate working and learning throughout you're collage course. I understand some students already do this but if it was part of the criteria I feel collages would produce a far better arborist at the end of the course.

Most people think NPTC certs are more important than an actual education in arboriculture which I find a shame, I also feel NPTC needs a shake up its far to easy to become competent when the sad fact is they're far from it.

I would like to see 4 days collage and one day's work experience then you can intergrate working and learning throughout you're collage course. I understand some students already do this but if it was part of the criteria I feel collages would produce a far better arborist at the end of the course.

In my opinion the certificates are important but only for insurance purposes. The competency gained with the ticket is no different to a driving licence. You pass your test but by no means does that mean your good at what you've just passed, it takes years to gain enough experience to be good at it. Having met/worked with several college grads I would say the issue is ego inflation cause they aced the course and were built up by tutors etc. I feel most have little to no idea what will actually be expected of then in a work environment and I completely agree with your second comment about a days work a week. Trouble is I don't feel most are happy to bring people on, a lot seem to want experienced staff or brash rats with no tickets etc. A part of me wishes I went to college for a couple of years to learn a bit more of the theory side of things but at the same time I know my climbing wouldn't be anywhere close to where it is and I'm by no means a good climber, I would say I'm competent and that's after 2 years subbing and doing my own work

Haven't read all thread so apologies if been covered: in early nineties I worked in construction and the firm recruited the apprentice then sent them to college, few weeks at a time first year then day release second year.

The practical work learning and college stuff worked hand in hand

If your going to completely take forestry off Arb courses there still needs to be taught the basics of presenting timber for resale... Some of what I have seen is not good so I doubt it's taught now either.

Also snedding out and cross cutting timber is important to handling timber and even brush more safely and easy in Arb as forestry, nothing worse than been whipped in the face or stabbed by a peg because not even basic skill of snedding is taught.

• 4 weeks later...