Prosecution

treequip

So Mr Hunt.

Had a MEWP provided by his employer to take a tree in poor condition down. He climbed out of the MEWP attached to the tree and MEWP?

The tree failed. Was it poor cutting, where was his rope in the cut, why was he still attached to MEWP?! Have I got it all wrong??

Site foreman is responsible. MEWP on site why?? Tree in poor condition yes! Person in charge of job should have said Nooo!! Can I use any more exclamation marks...YEEEESS!!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To increase its height, they placed the foot of the ladder in the rear of their pick-up truck parked at the foot of the tree. :thumbup:

Make a great script that when set to the tune of 'The Rocky Road to Dublin'

Mind you, that sort of Shenanagins is par for the course here in Frenchy-Ville-en-Merde for the locals

Ty

• 3 weeks later...

So (unfortunately for a lot of you guys) I can see a day in the not to distant future where climbing trees with harness and ropes will be the exception and not the rule.

Hse will make it very difficult to explain your way out of " why arnt you using a mewp" whenever there is a climbing related accident and that'll be it, climbing will be historical like the ancient art of basket weaving and driving on the phone.

I think they're breaking it in slow but it will be implemented. Just the same as ropes and harnesses were, as soon as they were seen as available and affordable it became the rules.

There is a bit more to the original posting on this thread.

The MEWP that was used was not big enough for the tree. The climber, who was the only person on the site with AR, was roped to the tree and the MEWP. When the limb to which he was attached failed, (above the one he was cutting), it took the whole shebang down. Luckily, his prussic literally burnt through on the decent. As this was the rope system attached to the MEWP, the MEWP stayed upright. The guy did get a bit of a battering on the way down though.

Team leaders responsibility aside, the contractor had failed to provide anything like a safe system of work and this was shown to be the culture of the business through investigation by the HSE and other organisations. This was coupled with the contractors intransigence during the investigation process.

I'll say no more on the subject other than I know the investigating officer.

So (unfortunately for a lot of you guys) I can see a day in the not to distant future where climbing trees with harness and ropes will be the exception and not the rule.

Hse will make it very difficult to explain your way out of " why arnt you using a mewp" whenever there is a climbing related accident and that'll be it, climbing will be historical like the ancient art of basket weaving and driving on the phone.

I think they're breaking it in slow but it will be implemented. Just the same as ropes and harnesses were, as soon as they were seen as available and affordable it became the rules.

:lol::laugh1::lol: I wouldn't hold your breath:001_rolleyes::lol::lol:

The incident with the guy on mewp, where the contractor was fined does make me wonder. Surely the climber must take some responsibility for his actions. I know it may not be easy to face up to your employer and demand bigger/ better kit etc, but following industry best practice (or good practice) and some common sense would have prevented this.

I also wonder if the tree was climbed (no use of a mewp), using a central high tip rather that a branch may have prevented the incident? The climber would have had better feel for the tree etc may changed the way he was working and so on. I don't know but was pondering over a cup of tea....

Any thoughts?

The incident with the guy on mewp, where the contractor was fined does make me wonder. Surely the climber must take some responsibility for his actions. I know it may not be easy to face up to your employer and demand bigger/ better kit etc, but following industry best practice (or good practice) and some common sense would have prevented this.

I also wonder if the tree was climbed (no use of a mewp), using a central high tip rather that a branch may have prevented the incident? The climber would have had better feel for the tree etc may changed the way he was working and so on. I don't know but was pondering over a cup of tea....

Any thoughts?

This is precisely why I highlighted this case.

There has been much debate on here about who's insurance and so forth.

This case is the illustration of the legal position. If you are freelancing, day rate, call it what you will, the law regards you as an employee and holds the contractor responsible.