Cedar wood ???

Old Mill Tree Care

Hi

Im new to the forum. I've joined as I see from time to time there are people looking to offload smaller amounts of wood. I'm in the process of buying a woodburner for the new house I've moved into and am already planning for the future and wanting to stock up. I'd like to get in logs I can cut, split and season myself. Partly for the "fun" and of course to save money. So if you want a small amount taking away let me know. Estate car or can borrow friends van with notice. I live outside Dorking and work in Redhill.

Mark

• 8 years later...

We have lots of western red from a very very over-stood hedge, so over-stood the thuja forms trees of about 80ft high!!!  Been gradually cutting the big thuja and replanting a new hedge below. Gradually - over several years.  Not wasting the wood, burning western red for a long time now, often in combination with ash from dieback trees, here in E. Sussex.

The WRC after a years seasoning in our polytunnel, burns really well in stove, fairly fast, but very hot, and wonderful smell of the stacked wood.  Spoken to 2 tree surgeons recently and they both agree.  But still doesn't seem a popular wood on the general market.  Mines all free to me, just a lot of hard enjoyable work axe chopping, but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by how nice it is to burn.  😃

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HICARDO said:

We have lots of western red from a very very over-stood hedge, so over-stood the thuja forms trees of about 80ft high!!!  Been gradually cutting the big thuja and replanting a new hedge below. Gradually - over several years.  Not wasting the wood, burning western red for a long time now, often in combination with ash from dieback trees, here in E. Sussex.

The WRC after a years seasoning in our polytunnel, burns really well in stove, fairly fast, but very hot, and wonderful smell of the stacked wood.  Spoken to 2 tree surgeons recently and they both agree.  But still doesn't seem a popular wood on the general market.  Mines all free to me, just a lot of hard enjoyable work axe chopping, but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by how nice it is to burn.  😃

Some people are misled regarding soft wood . Its good fire wood as you have found . 2 of my favorites are Leyladii and Larch .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HICARDO said:

Horses for courses but as someone who burns only softwood I hate WRC; crackly spitty stuff that burns very fast and gives out only a little heat I find.  I currently have about three dumpy bags of offcuts from having had the house re-clad in it. The house looks fantastic but I'm only burning the smallest offcuts as a means of disposal; the bigger bits I think I'll offer to Men In Sheds.

I'm also in E Sx!

• Like 3