• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha!

Only joking mate.

You were there, we weren't.

I'll all for pushing it a bit, but that gut feeling can keep you alive.

Risking a climbers life because you don't want to fork out for a winch is inexcusable IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

WORD!!!:thumbup1:

Like i said, they are usually great guys to work for and iv enjoyed every job and climb iv done for them. I reckon i just chose the wrong day to pussy out. Things are tough towards xmas as im sure everyone knows all too well and tempers and patience runs thin. I can understand why they were a bit pissed off and I really dont hold it against them and hope i can still help them out when im needed.

Its definitely not pussying out mate! One tree blown, the next swaying from the root plate up. Would you rather be a pussy or a total retard? Turns out you're neither! The other thing to remember, the boss might have been slightly annoyed that day but on reflection he may think actually, Pault had a point. Console yourself with this. I bet whoever climbed it was absolutely packing it (and probably thinking "never again"). Moneys not all that much use when your brown bread.

All been said before, but taking that "instinct" thing a tad further:

It's a REAL sense going back to caves and mammoths, lost to just about everyone bar the type that encounter danger (real danger) daily, be it in sport or work.

You said you were a rock climber - why are you beating yourself up for listening to that self preservation little-known known voice called instinct? You should know you made the right call.

BTW - An ACE winch (Tifor equivalent) costs £150.00 for a medium size model. I'd be asking what kind of an outfit it is you've been working for that places a climbers safety against basic kit being available?

Russ

Refusing to climba tree is no big deal in the grand scheme of things, however, i always look @ how to make the tree workable before I say anything to anyone. A recent example was a sycamore with a massive tear-out that needed quite a bit of rigging. I pointed out that it would be easier & a lot safer to board up some windows to increase the amount I could cut & chuck & guy the head of the tree to increase stability whilst rigging. Boss was happy with the plan & we ran with it, as opposed to "refusing" I gave him my opinion on how to get it done in a safe manner. The point I'm making is that the way you communicate your issues can help develop a good relationship between you & your client/boss

Refusing to climba tree is no big deal in the grand scheme of things, however, i always look @ how to make the tree workable before I say anything to anyone. A recent example was a sycamore with a massive tear-out that needed quite a bit of rigging. I pointed out that it would be easier & a lot safer to board up some windows to increase the amount I could cut & chuck & guy the head of the tree to increase stability whilst rigging. Boss was happy with the plan & we ran with it, as opposed to "refusing" I gave him my opinion on how to get it done in a safe manner. The point I'm making is that the way you communicate your issues can help develop a good relationship between you & your client/boss

Exactly. Theres always some way around things. Guying the lime tree at the first fork could have been a safety net, but hey we werent there. Ive oly refused to take down a tree, that had bad previous pruning wounds in both the main rigging and TIP leaders. Pool and garage right underneath. No money for a crane. I said nah and we went and made money elsewhere, no biggy.:thumbup:

I totally agree, when the instinct kicks in, then you know its not the job/time to do it. There is always tomorrow.

Was there any possibility of roping into a neighbouring tree and using that as your anchor point? I tend to use this method on nasty jobs. When you lanyard into the iffy tree, stick a caritool between the end of your lanyard and your harness so if the tree does fail the caritool snaps and you don't get pulled about/crushed. You might take a swing but this method does lessen the potential for harm...

Just my thoughts

Stay safe mate.