General consensus on Echo

stoff101

A common issue with most Echo saws is a low power to cc and weight ratio - but there allegedly are exceptions.

It may have helped that they were more or less merged with Shindaiwa (same owner) - but Shinny never was stellar in that regard either (except in some very "optimistic" specs sheets).

Anyway, there are signs that Echo is improving their saw designs.....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i've had 4 echo top-handled saws over the last 20 yrs, and prefer to use them with a 10"bar. i love the balance and the light weight esp. good in tight spaces. the problems i've had are occasionally throws the chain off but i reckon thats due to technique in those tight spaces, and i've also had to replace the oil pump, (it has a plastic worm gear!)

Im looking at the cs 360tes, if anyone has one can you tell me the difference as im seeing the same saw with different front grips. One is like normal on a 200t and the other is a curved wrap around style. I can't see any difference in the model name.

I'm thinking that by looking at it I would not get on with the wrap arpund style grip.

I'll post a pic.

The first pic is the 360t which is the older model and the second pic is the 360tes. It's the 360tes that you want.

Thanks for the input. I've always been a stihl man, but if stihl and husky can do it then I dont see any reason other brands can't begin to step up. Always open to trying new brands and giving them a shot! After all they depend on us to criticise and moan about their equipment in order to improve.

There are some reasons other brands have problems keeping up in these "strato/autotune" days, but they really always had - although Dolmar did put out some good models now and then (think 120Si, 115ih and 7900).

Echo always seemed unable to port a cylinder reasonably well, until may be on a couple of recent models....

I have a small Echo rear handle that I guess is not a commercial grade model but has been used a fair bit commercially. I think that Echo's price, warranty and engine/carb's are the strong points, some of the other stuff can be a little flimsy. Mine has only really had problems with the chainbrake assembly, and the dogs snapped, but they are replaceable. My mates Echo top handle has broken AV mounts, this is a problem with the Shinny's too... I like it though - I pick it up, it starts, most of the time the chainbrake works, but it does require good maintenance regimes. Cuts okay but has it's limits

The parts are real cheap but availability isn't the greatest. I REALLY wanted one of the new top handles but they are holding stock back over here, probably to try and sell the old model first, so bought a T540xp.