Cold hands tips.

Mark Bolam

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suffer from Reynauds Syndrome (poor circulation) in my hands, always have done.

Apart from decent gloves, of which I have a massive selection for various applications, does anyone have any tips for toasty mitts? Especially when climbing. Cupping the exhaust of the 540 helped today, but it's not great on Silky work!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Well ya know them times you need a slash in the tree? That might warm them

Sent from my ST23i using Arbtalk mobile app

I've just started wearing the same gloves as they do on deadliest catch and they're great. It's been a chilly few days here and my hands have been roasting and bone dry too. The first type I got are the showa 660, they fit brilliantly and are real tough. The only thing is you do sweat a little in them. They are £3.50 off the bay. Then as it turned cold I thought I'd treat my hands to the showa 282 which are thermal and breathable. They're a tad dear at £13 but I haven't had slightly cold hands at all.

Like I said, I've got some great gloves. Showa Thermos which are great to rotate a few pairs (similar to Toms link), Sealskins, the Dickies fleece lined that Ian mentioned, Tegeras from Clarks, North Cold Grips and several others.

I think the truth is I just don't like gloves for climbing!

I may try the silk, nitrile or Merino liners, but I think they'll just add bulk and annoy me.

I've even got some mitts with D-cell batteries that heat up, impossible to work in, but I could keep them in a stuff sack on my harness and slip them on when things get really bad.

The hot hands tea bag things are pretty good as well, just don't quite get to my fingertips, which is where the problem really is. They turn bone-white pretty easily and take ages for the circulation to come back.

Weirdly, I very rarely have cold feet. Probably because they are nearer my heart than my hands are!

I was hoping there was some magic lotion I could slap on that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I suffer cold hands too. Some good ideas here i use the windmilling my arms around one but it hurts like hell if your hands are already numb. Keep Your wrists warm yes, also helps if you don't wear a watch. Nobody mentioned ski gloves? I had a pair of gortex lined ones, they kept my hands toasty and dry all day and lasted a surprisingly long time too, used them a lot in the mewp in the snow a few years back. But whilst climbing nothing beats the exhaust of yer topper!