Stump Grinders

ReubenHayes

We are looking at purchasing a new stump grinder and could really do with finding out how people get on with them.

No sure what grinder to go for, have used Rayco's in the past, but what have others used?

Will need to fit through garden gates etc so will need to be pedestrian.

Any help on the subject would be great.

I'd find out which dealers are closest to you. That will narrow your search of brands.

Otherwise, if I had my time again I'd spend my money as fast as possible on a Bandit HB20, no question.

Then if you need a bigger machine, the Carlton 4012 is crap IMO but the 7015 would be money well spent, or the Bandit equivalent.

Just my opinion and I'm sure I'll be slated for it. Hahaha!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd find out which dealers are closest to you. That will narrow your search of brands.

Otherwise, if I had my time again I'd spend my money as fast as possible on a Bandit HB20, no question.

Then if you need a bigger machine, the Carlton 4012 is crap IMO but the 7015 would be money well spent, or the Bandit equivalent.

I think your opinion is just fine 😊

It all depends on the environment that you work in.

We found the one with smaller wheels a nightmare to get up steps and stairs. and on slopped or uneven ground can be very easy to tip over and tend to get stuck alot easier.

A mate called the HB20 (a good unit) he had the spitfire, due to the number of victory rolls it used to do, it broke alot of air filters, ended up in a pond so he sold it and got a carlton. As someone mentioned, a grinders absolutely worthless if it cant access the job.

Carltons are tough and proven, As are doskos (perhaps the oldest design out there) heck we have an old dosko that has its own trailer hitch so you can just put it on the towbar and tow it to the job as the wheels are highway rated. Before we had it, it was a rental unit for 10 years. Not that great to use but im pretty sure you could break it out as a fossil and it would still work in a thousand years.

IMHO a lighter grinder that gets to more stumps is better than one thats faster on fewer stumps.you can always upgrade if theres money in it or rent if bigger jobs come up.

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys, thinking of expanding my range of stump grinders that i sell, what would you say to a tracked 31hp with full hydraulic cutting head ?

Price would be around £12k + VAT

Let me know your thoughts ?

This is the same as the toro grinder and I thought it was rubbish!!!

I demoed it on a job with about 40 stumps and I found it more productive with my smaller pedestrian grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• 1 year later...
This is the same as the toro grinder and I thought it was rubbish!!!

I demoed it on a job with about 40 stumps and I found it more productive with my smaller pedestrian grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Was that the 26hp or the 38 hp Toro?

(sorry for the slow reply - but I've only just seen the Toro advertised)

I'd buy an HB20 again tomorrow if starting over.

The Carlton 4012 is a machine with serious traction issues in 2WD, piss poor electronics and a world wide dealership made up of strategically shaved monkeys and con-men...

Ty

I'd buy an HB20 again tomorrow if starting over.

The Carlton 4012 is a machine with serious traction issues in 2WD, piss poor electronics and a world wide dealership made up of strategically shaved monkeys and con-men...

Ty

We have had a carlton 4012 for a couple of months now and couldn't agree more with the traction problem, I have never had a grinder that gets stuck so much. Luckily we kept our old Rayco 1625 and we have 7015trx so we pick and choose the jobs the 4012 goes on.