Crap vs good wood in stove?

Adamam

:thumbup:

Been burning smashed up pallets the last couple of nights. Fed up moving them when they get in the way so chopped the all up and burning them. Provide good flame and plenty heat. Only downsides are out to log shed every 2 mins ad the ashes will be full of nails. Burn what you have as long as it's dry:thumbup1:

:thumbup:Yep me too , just have a good magnet by the stove when you come to clear out the ashes . I save them up for the scrap :sneaky2:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when anyone asks me what I burn, my standard reply is, " I burn special stuff, its called tree wood"..... if its dry, it goes in the stove, and the sawdust from the mill goes into empty fruit juice cartons, gets mixed with waste vegie oil, (courtesy of the local kebab shop), and these get burned as well. heats the house and workshop all winter to toasty

I've got a top loading stove, it burns neat sawdust from local joinery shops :thumbup:

I have been known to mist the top vent with diesel/oil mix for instant heat and draw. :lol:

Billy, you're not a cowboy if you sell unseasoned logs as unseasoned and needing to be dried before use. People getting deliveries of unseasoned wood, unknown to them, at £120 a cube, gives reputable people a bad name. No offence meant to straight dealers such as yourself.

This is where i get shot down in flames now!!

Am i wrong saying you haul/transport your logs you process/dry them all the same costs overheads/hardwork ££ etc is all the same costs to process whether it be hard or soft so why not just mix it as a stove mix one price etc for stoves end of etc >>> i know open fires are another thing but there is nothing wrong with softwoods all the stories i think are old wives tails

I find if I burn oak on our stove I need to open up the flue a bit or it goes black and fire goes out. With the flue open most of the heat goes up the chimney so I am better off with beech birch or maple as it turns up in the yard. Currently burning beech,maple, birch,lime,hawthorn, sycamore and the odd bit of oak bone dry seasoned for at least 2 years.

I find if I burn oak on our stove I need to open up the flue a bit or it goes black and fire goes out. With the flue open most of the heat goes up the chimney so I am better off with beech birch or maple as it turns up in the yard. Currently burning beech,maple, birch,lime,hawthorn, sycamore and the odd bit of oak bone dry seasoned for at least 2 years.

HI STEVE very old seasoned oak as you say is great thats whats on our stove now mate thanks jon :thumbup:

burning dead oak at the moment I had to open the window its that hot, Steve try seasoning it a bit longer as oak takes a lot longer to season

I am trying that at the moment cutting it much smaller seems to help too. I have a load of bits 150 x 50 x 10 that burn well. I have logs that have been in the poly tunnel 5 years that were dead standing and they still sit there and sulk.

This is where i get shot down in flames now!!

Am i wrong saying you haul/transport your logs you process/dry them all the same costs overheads/hardwork ££ etc is all the same costs to process whether it be hard or soft so why not just mix it as a stove mix one price etc for stoves end of etc >>> i know open fires are another thing but there is nothing wrong with softwoods all the stories i think are old wives tails

All the stories are indeed old wives tails . There is nothing wrong with soft wood when seasoned . Its good fuel . :001_smile: