Winter 2014/15, forecasts conditions alerts etc.

peckerwoo

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I come n go like a twister round here :D and apols for delays (busy with none-work?)

So something of a change as the Atlantic beckons but the cold damp grey calm is on its way out as a "Zonal" unsettled pattern moves our way helped by a flatter moderate jet stream between 50-60 degrees latitude navigating low pressures eastwards between Iceland & the Shetlands as a mid Atlantic Ridge (High pressure) remains fairly static. Developing lows out of the Labrador current/SW Greenland/Newfoundland etc area will bring wet n windy conditions clearing to showers n clearer periods with modified polar maritime air so some of you folk in NIre/Sco and high ground NEng will see wintry conditions in the coming days, briefly Friday for the far north but feeling much colder in the strong winds for the whole of the UK Sunday onwards, Talk of a deep low developing to sweep through next Wednesday is a possibility but not yet certain, although gales quite likely the more North of the country you are next week.

But little to no signs of prolonged Snow & Ice in the immediate timeframe (next 8 to 12/14 days) but eyes out for those in the North for those colder periods between systems next week where sleet & snow is possible but not amounting to widespread depths only on the mountains etc. Temps will cycle between mild above avg to slightly below avg between the troughs and ridges but I enjoy the clean fresh atlantic air over the muck anyday ;)

I come n go like a twister round here :D and apols for delays (busy with none-work?)

So something of a change as the Atlantic beckons but the cold damp grey calm is on its way out as a "Zonal" unsettled pattern moves our way helped by a flatter moderate jet stream between 50-60 degrees latitude navigating low pressures eastwards between Iceland & the Shetlands as a mid Atlantic Ridge (High pressure) remains fairly static. Developing lows out of the Labrador current/SW Greenland/Newfoundland etc area will bring wet n windy conditions clearing to showers n clearer periods with modified polar maritime air so some of you folk in NIre/Sco and high ground NEng will see wintry conditions in the coming days, briefly Friday for the far north but feeling much colder in the strong winds for the whole of the UK Sunday onwards, Talk of a deep low developing to sweep through next Wednesday is a possibility but not yet certain, although gales quite likely the more North of the country you are next week.

But little to no signs of prolonged Snow & Ice in the immediate timeframe (next 8 to 12/14 days) but eyes out for those in the North for those colder periods between systems next week where sleet & snow is possible but not amounting to widespread depths only on the mountains etc. Temps will cycle between mild above avg to slightly below avg between the troughs and ridges but I enjoy the clean fresh atlantic air over the muck anyday ;)

I will hold you to the little to no signs of prolonged Snow & Ice when we get snowed in. My memory is short but I still have the ear ache from being snowed in the week before christmas and having to go out on Christmas Eve in the MB Trac 5 miles with the wife for the Christmas supermarket shop then clawing our way back up the hill to the farm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did everyone enjoy the recent high winds and volatile Atlantic? threads suggesting windblown havoc widespread in the North are a very interesting read?

But after quite a wait then Winter "could" well be on the verge of returning next week!

After yet another deepening Low late tmoz thru Thursday affecting Northern areas yet again, then Pressure is slowly building E of Greenland Iceland Svaalbard etc cutting off any westerly influence and rendering us under cold air but the Heights are flaky at the moment so we need more model consistency and frequent evolution checks but its definately "game on" although if heights are weaker than currently suggested then the whole projection breaks down as shortwaves could easily scupper and breach any "blocking" but if I was down SE of the UK i`d be quite weary of snowfall next week as well as everywhere else feeling much colder with widespread overnight heavy frost & Ice. more as it becomes available.

(sorry for lack of updates and replies etc)