Before & After

treeman22tyger

You clearly have a problem with work methods. A safe system of work will help.

No one chips my climbing kit because I am the only one that uses it, once its not needed it goes back in the bag and I put it away, its my PPE and it seldom goes out of my sight.

You are in charge of the job so if kit it getting damaged YOU need to look at why and address that issue, the kit got damaged because YOU didn't do that.

Give the lad a bolocking and HIS money back

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry but who said anything about leaving it on the floor??

His job, regardless of what anyone else says, also includes putting the kit away whilst i am finishing the job, ie cutting the stump up, blowing the site, dealing with customers, or whatever else needs doing while i am busy.

If he waits then the job takes longer to complete.

You think he should just stand around doing nothing when there are things to do?

and the things he has run over, again like I said I was not even there, HE left the things in the way not anyone else. and those things he did not have to pay for.

This could have been a lot worse if the damage was worse because I dont have a few thousand to repair the chipper. Perhaps I should have sacked him? But then that would be harsh because its just before christmas!!! so freaking what.

If the damage was worse the we wouldn't be able to work and I would be even more out of pocket.

sorry but who said anything about leaving it on the floor??

His job, regardless of what anyone else says, also includes putting the kit away whilst i am finishing the job, ie cutting the stump up, blowing the site, dealing with customers, or whatever else needs doing while i am busy.

If he waits then the job takes longer to complete.

You think he should just stand around doing nothing when there are things to do?

and the things he has run over, again like I said I was not even there, HE left the things in the way not anyone else. and those things he did not have to pay for.

This could have been a lot worse if the damage was worse because I dont have a few thousand to repair the chipper. Perhaps I should have sacked him? But then that would be harsh because its just before christmas!!! so freaking what.

If the damage was worse the we wouldn't be able to work and I would be even more out of pocket.

If the job takes ten minutes longer then so be it, that's cheaper than damaging kit

Like I said, you need to teach him not to leave kit in vulnerable places, when you see it happen pull him up and remind him why.

As far as repair costs go if you don't have the money to fix a major repair to the chipper, what's going to happen when something goes wrong with your vehicle?

You are running the job and reaping the profits so any risk is yours as well

Pretty certain docking his wages is illegal and you want to watch you don't get in trouble for it. On another note , I would say the blame is on the both of you. Your fault for letting someone else sort your climbing kit and his for forgetting the flip line. Personally no one touches my climbing kit but me, that way I know it's all sorted and looked after and my kit gets packed up before I do anything else once I've finished climbing. This is just my opinion though but I've worked with some numpties over the years and learnt the only person you can really trust to look after your gear is your self.

I think the way forward for you and your staff is a briefing before you start work, explain what each persons role is, what you what done & how, house keeping seems to be your main issue so make sure team clean up as they go, would be a good start,

You need the team working togeather, and like someone has pointed out already if the job takes an extra 10 mins so be it, that's when things go wrong when things are rushed

A good start is making sure every body knows to put kit away in its place and not in a pile of brush or in path of trucks etc

I give my boys 5 briefings a day, one at the yard one at the start of job one half way tro just to let them know if any things changed we might be ahead or in front etc, one at end of job and one back at yard for next days work

It's just a quick team talk but every one knows where they stand and whats going on

Works for me

I think it wise to remember that most, if not every employee, is working for money. Employers (and I am one) should respect the fact that most staff won't work as hard as the company owner. Why should they? Its not there's and whilst, in theory, the boss or company get richer, the employee is still just on wages, possibly forevermore. Its easy to mock guys that are just doing there job (however badly!) but it is inappropriate. Employees should respect gear, but more importantly employers should respect employees.

That said with repeated problems like you have outlined, I see why you would be frustrated. I agree with others you have to come up with better systems and if that doesn't work perhaps you could try and help your mate find a more suitable job, rather than belittling him publicly. I had a brand new rope put through a chipper, by one of my guys. He was gutted, I was gutted but am I going to charge him more than a days wages for a piece of kit he doesn't own? No. Another put red diesel in the saw (made for some interesting smoke!)So we move on, in the knowledge that mistakes will happen but that we will get past them collectively and sensibly and with no loss of wages.