Chain tensioning

Blakes 7

We are having a bit of a discussion at work at the moment about chain tension.

We all seem to have been taught different methods for checking that the tension is correct.

What were you taught? I will not describe the method I was shown yet so as I don't influence any answers.

Any instructors two penneth would be ideal.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sit the saw on a flat surface and see if you can pull it along by the chain but also move the chain round with both hands,

or pull the chain away from the bar in the middle of the bar to expose 2 or 3 tangs. works for me.

I`ve seen people who only use a saw if the chain hangs a bit. Bit loose imo

we were taught the drag test, pull the chain and it shouldnt move, but if you kinda give it a swift tug/pull then it should move around, hard to explain i know lol

That was when i did cs30, now i just pull the chain out the guide bar abit and can feel if its right or not.

2-3 tangs thing here as well, but also depends on bar size. Tighter for 12" than 36". Check the whole chain moves freely round the bar tip, not just one section.

If it flys off and hits you in the nackers - it was probably too slack.

Sit the saw on a flat surface and see if you can pull it along by the chain but also move the chain round with both hands,

or pull the chain away from the bar in the middle of the bar to expose 2 or 3 tangs. works for me.

Same as Alinicoll.

I was taught that the chain should snap back sharply onto the bar.

After finding "Arbtalk" and reading other guides such as pulling the saw over a flat surface and how many drive tangs can be exposed,I found that the tension was about the the same with each.

My tutor at the time said that I was probably running too slack and when I looked at my old saw the wear on the underside of the tip was there.

He also talked about tension on solid noses and wear in sprockets making setting difficult,I listened cos he has been there and done it.

It all is a bit subjective,at least now I am allways looking at the business end so well done Dave Grafton.:001_smile::001_smile:

nearly every way has pitfalls

lift chain to see 3 drive links = How hard to pull and how strong and length of bar

pull along bench =depends on how strong what bench is made off ect

try pulling the chain around and feeling the tendons in forearm should just start to tense but everyone,s different

also on most saws upto 16inch bar as you tighten chain watch for tip of bar rising and thats usually good