Trailer brakeaway cable not attached... 3 points and £100 fine

Sciadopitys

i much prefer the idea of a strong chain attached to a strong fixing point on the truck so if the trailer comes unhitched it will still follow the vehicle and then only thing it should hit is the back of your own vehicle because i always think if the breakaway cable is gonig to snap and if the breaks dont come on evenly then it could swing out into the road especially if it is long trailer, i think its the law in the US to have it chained the the back

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i much prefer the idea of a strong chain attached to a strong fixing point on the truck so if the trailer comes unhitched it will still follow the vehicle and then only thing it should hit is the back of your own vehicle because i always think if the breakaway cable is gonig to snap and if the breaks dont come on evenly then it could swing out into the road especially if it is long trailer, i think its the law in the US to have it chained the the back

The law in the US is for 2 chains (if memory serves)

One chain leaves you with a wrecking ball dragging behind your vehicle

Provided the system is well maintained the brakes will activate before the cable snaps, its designed that way. I did say well maintained, roll on the trailer MOT

It must seem harsh, and possibly a warning would have been more appropriate, but forgetting the breakaway cable really isn't acceptable.

In May 2007 at Bere Regis in Dorset a 37yo women was killed when a trailer became detached from a Landrover an mowed her down. The driver was charged with causing death by dangerous driving, although the case was later dropped on an evidenciary technicality.

So whilst three points and a £100 fine (or whatever the penalty is) may well be something you could do without, you could potentially be facing years in jail if you hadn't been pulled and something worse had happened.

Where about's in Bere Regis did that happen?

I think it was on the Bere Regis to Wool road, the one over Gallows Hill, and the incident happened near the bridge by the watercress farm actually in BR.

It was quite widely reported at the time and Google will turn up reports from the time.

If I recall correctly the detachment happened because the towing attachment was home-fabricated and failed. Whether it was the coupling or the means of attachment (or even the crossmember) wasn't reported. If there was a breakaway cable it was attached the the failed component.

All in all a very unfortunate incident and a salutary reminder of the responsibility of those of us who tow.

I think it was on the Bere Regis to Wool road, the one over Gallows Hill, and the incident happened near the bridge by the watercress farm actually in BR.

It was quite widely reported at the time and Google will turn up reports from the time.

If I recall correctly the detachment happened because the towing attachment was home-fabricated and failed. Whether it was the coupling or the means of attachment (or even the crossmember) wasn't reported. If there was a breakaway cable it was attached the the failed component.

All in all a very unfortunate incident and a salutary reminder of the responsibility of those of us who tow.

Makes harrowing reading.

Bereaved husband speaks as driver is cleared (From Dorset Echo)

Found the answer - it comes under this as it is part of the braking system

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/344447/enforcement-sanctions-policy.pdf - page 21

BRAKING SYSTEM AND

COMPONENTS

IM 59 Defective £100 FP

The Road Vehicles (Construction

& Use) Regulations 1986,

Regulation 18 and Section 41A of

the Road Traffic Act 1988, SO-5-

3pts

Good work!