Trailer brakeaway cable not attached... 3 points and £100 fine

Sciadopitys

I would be tempted to challenge it on the wording. I too hitch everything throughly, but recently did a journey with only the tow ball hitched no electrics, no breakaway cable. Im only human.

Just a slight derail on this subject. I think breakaways are stupid. Without them the trailed equipment flies off and hits something else. With them the breaks slam on and someone else probably runs in to them. Any proven gain??? I know other countries frown on them and have a strong chain or similar to secure the vehicle and trailer together if the coupling fails.

When reasoning with traffic coppers remember they do this every day and can work out if you lying or trying to manipulate the situation. I had 2 major accidents and in both cases the sergants were fantastic, been pulled twice by to first class obnoxious types on a scoresheet ego exercise.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Harsh! How on earth did he see it wasn't connected? Was that the reason he pulled you over (if so, he must have had super vision to see it wasn't connected whilst you were moving) Or did he find it after he'd pulled you over??

Might of been dragging along the ground

You've been unlucky there, harsh on the points, I think it is still an offence though. A bloke I used to work for, his brother was a traffic police man, he would sometimes come on the yard and say something like `last week we where checking for racing exhausts on road bikes` or `break away cable's on trailers`, maybe this was his target for the week.

Just a slight derail on this subject. I think breakaways are stupid. Without them the trailed equipment flies off and hits something else. With them the breaks slam on and someone else probably runs in to them. Any proven gain??? I know other countries frown on them and have a strong chain or similar to secure the vehicle and trailer together if the coupling fails.

Probably best if it gets hit by a vehicle behind than running off onto footpaths imo.

Green man at Hatton Cross next to Heathrow Airport mean anything to you Mr Eggs?:rolleyes:;):P:D

That was another occasion similar to the op is refering to, over zealous copper!

No one was hurt and both were genuine mistakes. Nothing a good bollocking wouldn't have sorted out!

I thought about going to court over mine, yet decided against it.