Chipper Course

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve had my NPCT chipper for years but we regularly put staff from the council through the course, as an independent assessment is a requirement if they ever use one in the parks or estates.

I don’t think it’s un-reasonable to spend a day on the machine learning the basics and then learning how to change the blades, anvil etc….

I know we all know our chippers intimately, that’s because we use them daily – but the course was designed for people with no, or very little chipper knowledge. Again, to teach 4 chaps how to handle and maintain a chipper in a safe manor in a day is not un-reasonable, in fact I’d say you need a lot longer that that to know the machine well and operate it in a fluid and safe way.

I agree that the actual tests can be fairly quick which I think is an indication of the high standard of teaching and the calibre candidates. Its well worth getting the NPTC unit and in my opinion its money well spent.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/training-education/5472-pictures-chipper-course-assessment.html

Edited by John Hancock

I’ve had my NPCT chipper for years but we regularly put staff from the council through the course, as an independent assessment is a requirement if they ever use one in the parks or estates.

I don’t think it’s un-reasonable to spend a day on the machine learning the basics and then learning how to change the blades, anvil etc….

I know we all know our chippers intimately, that’s because we use them daily – but the course was designed for people with no, or very little chipper knowledge. Again, to teach 4 chaps how to handle and maintain a chipper in a safe manor in a day is not un-reasonable, in fact I’d say you need a lot longer that that to know the machine well and operate it in a fluid and safe way.

I agree that the actual tests can be fairly quick which I think is an indication of the high standard of teaching and the calibre candidates. Its well worth getting the NPTC unit and in my opinion its money well spent.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/training-education/5472-pictures-chipper-course-assessment.html

ahem...... John, I'd like to call on a previous post on your chipper assessment photos thread...

''We had 6 people through today and we were finished nice and early. I dont know how they could make it last two days. Its not rocket science''

I rest my case, your honour. :001_tongue:

ahem...... John, I'd like to call on a previous post on your chipper assessment photos thread...

''We had 6 people through today and we were finished nice and early. I dont know how they could make it last two days. Its not rocket science''

Hehehe!!

Oops!:blushing:

No flies on you - Respect! :001_smile:

I think its down to the people who are being assessed. You or I would go through quickly muttering/grumbling on about poor value for money.

If 6 thick buggers went through, no doubt it would take longer and the instructor/assessors would have to work a lot harder.

No flies on you - Respect! :001_smile:

I think its down to the people who are being assessed. You or I would go through quickly muttering/grumbling on about poor value for money.

If 6 thick buggers went through, no doubt it would take longer and the instructor/assessors would have to work a lot harder.

I have to say.... I agree with that entirley.

BUT....... the course if not flexible enough to cater for a de-veg squad that know more about the chipper and how to operate it than the guy teaching or assessing the course.

[For me it was two pointless wasted days which is obviousley two days money up the swaney... luckily we've been quite quiet so it wasnt like we were on a deadline for anything, but the two days is a joke...

The main point, I feel, is people think of how much a course costs, but while each of our lads is on a training course they are losing us £228 per man per day whilst they are not earning their keep! This NPTC 5 year refresher thing is going to cost an already suffering industry thousands, and Im not convinced it will save lives/ prevent accidents?

I have to say.... I agree with that entirley.

BUT....... the course if not flexible enough to cater for a de-veg squad that know more about the chipper and how to operate it than the guy teaching or assessing the course.

In your next life (and I hope we all get one!) Down-load the assessment schedule from NPTC and just book the test, you’ll save a few £££’s. :thumbup1: