Chipper Course

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahem...... John, I'd like to call on a previous post on your chipper assessment photos thread...

''We had 6 people through today and we were finished nice and early. I dont know how they could make it last two days. Its not rocket science''

I rest my case, your honour.

No flies on you - Respect!

I think its down to the people who are being assessed. You or I would go through quickly muttering/grumbling on about poor value for money.

If 6 thick buggers went through, no doubt it would take longer and the instructor/assessors would have to work a lot harder....................... chipper course is 4 novice or 6 experienced, you cant teach your granny to suck eggs, theory, can be applied and if the lads know their stuff, fair play, as we say up north early louse!

Am i right in thinking you don't have your big tree ticket matt?cs33 a & b.That is a ticket that means nothing IMO until you've had a ALOT of experience!But yes it is better too have it before you start,mine was a bit of a joke.:001_cool:

Am i right in thinking you don't have your big tree ticket matt?cs33 a & b.That is a ticket that means nothing IMO until you've had a ALOT of experience!But yes it is better too have it before you start,mine was a bit of a joke.:001_cool:

Actually..... I dont.... Its one I really want to do, and was talking to Ron Clowse (do you know him??) the other day about it...... basically i'm going in for it and have all the assessor guidance, info and boomf on it but I now need to find a hardwood tree big enough to fell and do a crown break down..

So.....if you find any big big trees needing felled - let me know!

Actually I have t find two as the assessment would be for a minimum of two people.

Hey as an nptc assessor and a lantra instructor of most forest/arb units, i strongly agree with john hancocks thread also for the record we do not receive all the course / assessment fee, only a normal day rate the rest goes to nptc / lantra etc.

It seems some of you have had a raw deal in the past, please do not think we are all on a gravy train. I try to keep the costs as fair as possible, and always discuss the requirements (skill levels) of my clients before deciding on course durations. Experienced / skilled operators can reduce course duration by signing a declaration it is quite possible and normal to assess 8 candidates in a day (chipper)!

Please note * i am on the tools most days and i am a trainer / assessor too because of my industry experience therefore i indevor to pass on my knowledge for life in the real world!!

If you need some fair training / assessing either myself or one of my team will be happy to help.. Access Arboriculture - the tree experts

(just remember keep it simple keep)

ive got a chipper cert but not nptc, on sommat called CORS(chainsaw operator registry scheme)..ran in colabiration with the highways agency.anybody else heard of this?

that will be the rip off of the NPTC scheme (word for word from the old standard) that cvaused a bit of a stirr with people like the hse due to the poor vetting/varifiying/auditing and allagedly skills base of the 'instructors'

currently the HCTA are 'working with' nptc and nptc to adress certain issues

heheheheheh

As for the BWC qualification, a couple of things really, you can always go for a direct assessment, down load the info from the nptc and read up, present for assessment and see, now as a trainer, im bound to say we recomend training befor, but remember it is a level 2 qual witch is a basic level, and should not be too taxing.

also you could do a lantra ITA one day, and again as an instructor, the delivery is entirly dependant on us. some peole have very limited exposure and knowlwge and all you will get is a tinmy bit of stuff that meets the needs and others will be very experianced and able to tell ylu rafts rafts and rafts of info.

i think it is a shame when some one seems let down by training, did you feel that you really lernt nothing???

kev

ps. dont forget level 2 is a basic minimum standard not a pinicle of experiance and excellence

LOL..... the guys all came out with a cracker for the changing of blades, adjusting belts etc - theyre not alowed to do it as all of the maintenance is carried out by the contracting company....

As soon as the blades are buggered or the thing breaks down we just call out thier fitter who makes it work again and we get back to work

The assessor couldnt argue with it really.

on an nptc assessment the candidate only needs to identify signes of blunt cutters, they are not expected to change the blade.

kev

:001_smile:

I’ve had my NPCT chipper for years but we regularly put staff from the council through the course, as an independent assessment is a requirement if they ever use one in the parks or estates.

I don’t think it’s un-reasonable to spend a day on the machine learning the basics and then learning how to change the blades, anvil etc….

I know we all know our chippers intimately, that’s because we use them daily – but the course was designed for people with no, or very little chipper knowledge. Again, to teach 4 chaps how to handle and maintain a chipper in a safe manor in a day is not un-reasonable, in fact I’d say you need a lot longer that that to know the machine well and operate it in a fluid and safe way.

I agree that the actual tests can be fairly quick which I think is an indication of the high standard of teaching and the calibre candidates. Its well worth getting the NPTC unit and in my opinion its money well spent.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/training-education/5472-pictures-chipper-course-assessment.html

As for the BWC qualification, a couple of things really, you can always go for a direct assessment, down load the info from the nptc and read up, present for assessment and see, now as a trainer, im bound to say we recomend training befor, but remember it is a level 2 qual witch is a basic level, and should not be too taxing.

also you could do a lantra ITA one day, and again as an instructor, the delivery is entirly dependant on us. some peole have very limited exposure and knowlwge and all you will get is a tinmy bit of stuff that meets the needs and others will be very experianced and able to tell ylu rafts rafts and rafts of info.

i think it is a shame when some one seems let down by training, did you feel that you really lernt nothing???

kev

ps. dont forget level 2 is a basic minimum standard not a pinicle of experiance and excellence

As far as using and operating the chipper, I honestly feel that I learnt nothing... not one thing.... to me it was a joke. I lost two days money because of one day training and one day assessment AND it cost me for the course and assessment on top of that.

One thing I did learn that I never knew before was that the length of the hopper for feeding has a minimum length, which if I remember is 1.2m?