Chipper Course

Hey as an nptc assessor and a lantra instructor of most forest/arb units, i strongly agree with john hancocks thread also for the record we do not receive all the course / assessment fee, only a normal day rate the rest goes to nptc / lantra etc.

It seems some of you have had a raw deal in the past, please do not think we are all on a gravy train. I try to keep the costs as fair as possible, and always discuss the requirements (skill levels) of my clients before deciding on course durations. Experienced / skilled operators can reduce course duration by signing a declaration it is quite possible and normal to assess 8 candidates in a day (chipper)!

What do you call a ''normal'' day rate???

NPTC must be taking a huge cut for the course and assessment fee because some of the costs of training and assessment are pure daylight robbery.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it would be wrong to discuss individuals rates but we pay beteen 170 and 300 a day depending what it is the assessor is doing for us and what level of qualificATIO

butalso remember thanks to government procedures it is getting harder and harder to do multiupul assessments in a day and for some thing like large tree if it is a big tree you may get one assessment a day

med trees 2 assessments 31 4 assessments may be 3 it all depends on the candidate, and thay have a maximum time limit and if you are doing chipper and a candidates take there full time you can gey max of 4 in a day.

thers food fotr thought

well it would be wrong to discuss individuals rates but we pay beteen 170 and 300 a day depending what it is the assessor is doing for us and what level of qualificATIO

butalso remember thanks to government procedures it is getting harder and harder to do multiupul assessments in a day and for some thing like large tree if it is a big tree you may get one assessment a day

med trees 2 assessments 31 4 assessments may be 3 it all depends on the candidate, and thay have a maximum time limit and if you are doing chipper and a candidates take there full time you can gey max of 4 in a day.

thers food fotr thought

Fair one Kevin!

How much does a trainer earn a day??

Seems like most courses are around the £100 per person mark for training

Fair one Kevin!

How much does a trainer earn a day??

Seems like most courses are around the £100 per person mark for training

about the same if free lance if in a colege any think from 12.5k basic minimum wage to about 25k

about 100 per person per day yep but its creeping up, if you think we have 2 admin people who at busy times work fllat out moving paper booking places, we have to find sites o the list goes on, but trainers have to now jump even moor hoops and hell there are some really good ones outther and also some really bad ones also an excellent felling tutor may not be very good climbing

it just gets hard , and to be honest we all whant andneed to make a profit so.

but lantra sector skills have doen some resurch and prices are massivly dependant on location

there you go

ohh ps and thanks to the government again..... trainers who do things like chainsaw stuff will have to increase there teaching quals and may have to be part of the new licence scheme moor expence at that end += ???

kev

What do you call a ''normal'' day rate???

NPTC must be taking a huge cut for the course and assessment fee because some of the costs of training and assessment are pure daylight robbery.

from an assessor's point of view (I do PA6A and chipper), I don't mind sharing the rates I get for assessments. I get booked by individual proficiency tests committees to do assessments, and they set their rates. Near me, tests committees operate on a county basis. For one, I get £22 per hour, with 40p per mile travelling. That's per hour assessing, and it's a good rate if there's a full day's work (eg 4 PA6 candidates would probably be 8 hours). However, there are days when not everyone turns up (say, candidates who are ill, cancel or fail PA1), and there are days when I might have to travel to some remote farm or site just to assess 1 or 2 candidates - effectively, that blows the rest of the day away, as it's hard to fill in the remaining time with anything other than bits of admin - but it's all part of the mix. There are also some things that are unpaid: preparation for bi-annual verification days, maintaining CPD portfolios, supplying various bits and bobs which make the assessments go a little smoother. So, the pay is OK, but its not really a gravy train.

By the way, NPTC are a charity, and are not allowed to make a penny in profit.

totally agree with quickthorn

i assess 30 31 32 38 39 40 41

and tbh i usually work through an assessment centre so get paid by the day

and day rate is less than i get when contract climbing or less than i charge when doing private work

but it easier work physically but quite demanding mentally

totally agree with quickthorn

i assess 30 31 32 38 39 40 41

and tbh i usually work through an assessment centre so get paid by the day

and day rate is less than i get when contract climbing or less than i charge when doing private work

but it easier work physically but quite demanding mentally

Bob - what do you charge for private assessments?? ie, not through a training company..

Alas Highland

Bod and all assessors for nptc have to work through an assessmnt center, who will of cource put their admin charge on the top.

this is part of a QC process and to ensure that a fair assessmnts takes place.

what you may find is you will chat with some onel ike bob and he will put you in contCT WITH a center that uses him

i work within a licences training organisation and nptc test center who ha sa certain type of aproval that allows us to arrange tetst for 3rd parties.

By the way ive just read my last post and wow it was late and i had trouble making sence of it so sorry to all of you who had to try and make sence of it.

cheers all

kevin.

Alas Highland

Bod and all assessors for nptc have to work through an assessmnt center, who will of cource put their admin charge on the top.

this is part of a QC process and to ensure that a fair assessmnts takes place.

what you may find is you will chat with some onel ike bob and he will put you in contCT WITH a center that uses him

i work within a licences training organisation and nptc test center who ha sa certain type of aproval that allows us to arrange tetst for 3rd parties.

By the way ive just read my last post and wow it was late and i had trouble making sence of it so sorry to all of you who had to try and make sence of it.

cheers all

kevin.

That all makes sense to me..

I get the whole point of going through a test centre and understand the reasons behind it, but I still cant help but feel like the whole system is set up to make a monopoly.

The fact that you can't book an external assessor privately who then puts your tickets through at NPTC means you have to use middle men, which means somebody is making money for nothing.

In an ideal world you could do a course and then book an assessor and that would be job done, but as it is, normally you book a course with a training provider who provide the training through trainer and then they book you an assessment with an assessor through an independent test centre... 4 parties involved in one qualification, all taking their cut..

Sorry.... no..... 5 parties if you add NPTC or LANTRA into the equasion...

I have to say.... I agree with that entirley.

BUT....... the course if not flexible enough to cater for a de-veg squad that know more about the chipper and how to operate it than the guy teaching or assessing the course.

IMO if you are as green as grass and have never used a chipper before the course probably has good grounds to be done (in 1 day - no longer). I think a lot of the NPTC courses are exellent for this - giving you an introduction.

If you have learnt on the job as such then the chipper course will just be a waste of time and money... simple as that!:thumbdown: