Slang!

Asimina

numptie..... the yts or someone who left their brains at home

ginger.....,any fizzy drink but not ginger beer.

slapper.... woman who you try to avoid

bairns ......kids or children

nip,dram or a wee half.......something good and usually whisky

burn .... a small stream

bogging ...something that tastes foul

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet I've been called Dreagh a time or two.......although I do unnerstand what turn the wick up is referring to.

Ye girl ye!

With reference to a parrafin heater using the same wick in oil technology as a Tilly Lamp

So.

"turn the wick up" = produce more heat:lol:

boke = sick

scowl = scold

pechle= an ould feeble done person

crabbit = irritable

carnapscious = argumentitive

thran = stubborn

thran an carnapcious are often paired

oxters= armpits

oxter coggle = assist by gripping below the armpit/shoulder.

dwamle = stagger or turn unexpectedly(particularly in a motor vehicle) i.e he tuk(took) a dwamle

coup = tumble or fall over

Edited by difflock

Whenever i ask any of the young fellows that purport to work for me, to do something,they have a standard reply before walking off and doing it, either "awesome" or "wicked"

I know what it used to mean, but can only surmise what it means nowadays.

Young people. Sheesh. :biggrin:

Awesome could be said in a sarcastic way. It should mean, well, awesome. Said sarcastically it would be like saying "blah". Wicked said by a young person here is the same as awesome. It's a good thing. Here.

Im surprised we had no cockneys on . " put a monkey in yer sky " " off down the frog " and " up the apples " I find it interesting how the first part of the rhyming slang seems to have no apparent connection with the word disguised ... Sky Rocket --pocket , Frog and toad ...road ...Apples and Pears ...stairs etc etc ..

Im surprised we had no cockneys on . " put a monkey in yer sky " " off down the frog " and " up the apples " I find it interesting how the first part of the rhyming slang seems to have no apparent connection with the word disguised ... Sky Rocket --pocket , Frog and toad ...road ...Apples and Pears ...stairs etc etc ..

I can just imagine a certain young lady from the usa thinking "what the hell is he on?" :laugh1:

Round the houses, = trousers ( tried to type it as its said, looked rubbish)

Gregory peck, = neck

My favourite sentence is

Me an a China went fer a ball down the frog to the battle, had a couple a pigs, bell'd the trouble to pick us up in the jam jar, and take us to me chinas drum

Translation to follow :-D got to go out

Although not slang, Zig Zag here is a paper used to roll joints. Is joint an American slang word? A joint is like a cigarette, but made with marijuana.

Joint=spliff or doobie. weed or cannabis is your marijuana. Fag is a cigarette not a homosexual.

I can just imagine a certain young lady from the usa thinking "what the hell is he on?" :laugh1:

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Ok, if you're gonna use slang, at least fill me in on what it means. :biggrin:

And unless you're referring to another American, I'm no spring chicken.