Slang!

Asimina

Slape = slippery

Lass = girl or younger than oneself woman

Ta = thank you

Now we're cooking with gas = before it was going slow or not working but now it's going well.

Tump = hill

Big tump = notable rise in the landscape

Goolie = back lane, (narrower than a road and seperating the back gardens or yards of two lines of houses) or partially encloed walkway

Goot = Queue, line, tail

Burn = small to medium size stream

Tarn = small body of flatwater, as like a pond

Fells = mountains

Felltops = same altitude as the summits

Place just SE of my birth town has a rail line running through the middle of it. All the posh houses were above the rail and below were the less well off inhabitants. Locally the two ares were known as 'Tinseltown' and 'Spear Chucker Land'.

Edited by TGB

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! Do people speak like this often or was it for comedy's sake? It's entertaining to watch, but would make my head hurt after a while.

Edited by Asimina

No one mentioned septic yet??

Septic tank - yank.

Apologies to the op.. :)

You guys have several confusing names for 'bout everything. That can't be the worst name for us.

Master of the obvious thinks it means that we are full of poo, right?

You guys have several confusing names for 'bout everything. That can't be the worst name for us.

Master of the obvious thinks it means that we are full of poo, right?

Not sure there's supposed to be a direct link tbh, it's just conveniently insulting.

S

Not sure there's supposed to be a direct link tbh, it's just conveniently insulting.

S

I can't think of any insulting slang for Brits, but they are renowned for their teeth.

Maybe it's odd, but I have been fascinated by David Bowie's teeth since I was a teenager. Fascinated in a good way. :lol:

I can't think of any insulting slang for Brits, but they are renowned for their teeth.

Maybe it's odd, but I have been fascinated by David Bowie's teeth since I was a teenager. Fascinated in a good way. :lol:

Aren't we Limeys? Something to do with eating limes to prevent scurvey.