Slang!

Asimina

Scrumpy, cizzer - cider made in the traditional home-brewed method... Also referred to as gut-rot, badger piss or paint stripper. Especially if it's off Mr plogs ;)

Sareen - I can only assume that whoever typed that meant serene (chainsaws don't require the full grasp of the british language).

Sarnie - sandwich, also refers to batches, baps, cobs and any other savoury bread food.

Pants - underwear, also used for describing something that doesn't perform well 'the Stihl ms261 is pants'

Trousers - what you Americans call pants. Over here we're required to wear chainsaw protection when on a job site.

Barrel - cylinder, also referred to as a pot, eg, pot and piston.

Pom - Australian slang for British, equivalent of Limey, which is American slang for British.

Yank - American

Isotonic - a drink that supposedly, contains electrolytes, which are apparently necessary in sports hydration.

Jock - Scottish person (not a sports person, that's the American version)

Fag - cigarette

Faggot - a food made of offal

Jon, plogs, mediplogs - a member on here, genuine guy, has the computer skills of a moose, requires translation for the first 6 months of reading his posts!

Crosscutting - bucking

Lid - helmet

Owt - anything (just to confuse you with nowt)

Also note that each area has different slang and accents, and at a later point, you will need MUCH more translation :lol:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrumpy can and often does mean a rough cider/cizzer. The kind of liquid or semi-gel that will strip paint at fifty yards, (54.16m for the youngsters) and supply a hangover for a week.

45.72m in 50 yards. A yard is approximately 90cm.

You foreigners have a funny name for just about everything.

I know I'm the foreigner here, I'm just embracing my inner Yank and being narcissistic. :001_tt2:

Sometimes people from the North U.S. are called Yankees, but not so much any more.

People from my area of the U.S. are sometimes called hillbillies or rednecks. Occasionally I will slip into that sort of dialect for fun. It goes something like "Come 'ere young'un, get some vittles from yonder pot before I tan yer hide!" or "Let's get on the four-wheeler and head on down to the holler so we can go mud-bogging."

I have indeed gone mudding on a four-wheeler. We were driving down a mud road with some friends a few years back. It was an amazing sight because both four-wheelers had 6 foot tall rooster tails made of mud spraying up behind as we rode.

Hillbillies. :lol:

"Come 'ere young'un, get some vittles from yonder pot before I tan yer hide!"

Well seeing as redneck-hillbillies bes decended fea Co. Antrim stock, cos that bes a perfectly clear instruction to mesel.

cept we ud say "yon pot"

M

At work this morning there was a complaint from some of the younger main office staff, that it was too cold in their office, I called in on the way past, noted they were correct and commented;

"Aliastair will be along to turn the wick up"

that did not bloody unnerstan me.

Dreagh or what!

PS

Dreagh means slow on the uptake, perhaps even obtuse.

Edited by difflock

Here are some Westcountry saying

A pig in a poke = An item like a car / automobile that is unreliable, You have bought a right pig in a poke. And does not refer to have sex with a fat ugly girl / women :sneaky2:

Flat as a witches tit = Refers to something that has an engine with no power like some chainsaws :001_rolleyes:

Lemon = A lemon or something that is not very good. :thumbdown:

Buck = A male deer / rabbit and greeting to man / your mate, Alright buck!.:001_smile:

Maid = Woman or girl.

Knuckle dragger = Someone who is a bit thick or reference to a farmer or someone who lives in the countryside / or Dartmoor like me :lol::withstupid:

What be bout / or about = What are doing today.

Hope ive enlighten you to some of the Westcountry lingo :sneaky2:

"Come 'ere young'un, get some vittles from yonder pot before I tan yer hide!"

Well seeing as redneck-hillbillies bes decended fea Co. Antrim stock, cos that bes a perfectly clear instruction to mesel.

cept we ud say "yon pot"

M

At work this morning there was a complaint from some of the younger main office staff, that it was too cold in their office, I called in on the way past, noted they were correct and commented;

"Aliastair will be along to turn the wick up"

that did not bloody unnerstan me.

Dreagh or what!

PS

Dreagh means slow on the uptake, perhaps even obtuse.

I bet I've been called Dreagh a time or two.......although I do unnerstand what turn the wick up is referring to.

Here are some Westcountry saying

A pig in a poke = An item like a car / automobile that is unreliable, You have bought a right pig in a poke. And does not refer to have sex with a fat ugly girl / women :sneaky2:

Flat as a witches tit = Refers to something that has an engine with no power like some chainsaws :001_rolleyes:

Lemon = A lemon or something that is not very good. :thumbdown:

Buck = A male deer / rabbit and greeting to man / your mate, Alright buck!.:001_smile:

Maid = Woman or girl.

Knuckle dragger = Someone who is a bit thick or reference to a farmer or someone who lives in the countryside / or Dartmoor like me :lol::withstupid:

What be bout / or about = What are doing today.

Hope ive enlighten you to some of the Westcountry lingo :sneaky2:

We say "cold as a witch's tit" here, meaning is obvious.

I've heard knuckle dragger but more often obtuse are called window lickers. I would not say this though, it's very negative.

Pot licker would be a poor ragamuffin. I would call my chilluns potlickers. I think I'll start tonight.