Haggling, who does it?

Rye Oil Ltd

I have pitched at businesses at a decent price only to have them go to their current supplier and get them to drop their price below mine. This drop has been as much 15-20%. Call me old fashioned but if a supplier can drop by that much they were charging too much in the first place.

That is only too common and is a tactic tried only once then you know you are just being used!

I sometimes get asked for multiple discounts on my repairs, I do them at a keen prices where both parties are happy and usually say that if I did the repair any cheaper, it wouldn't be worth my while - nobody has ever walked at that stage and generally have some damn good feedback!

If a saw has been nice to me and been in clean condition, I will often throw in spares free of charge or free delivery where possible but that is me being fair:thumbup:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't haggle on the price of our kindling 2 p off a bag and it's not worth doing. But I do haggle for electric insurance etc. I would be really cautious haggling with a one man band or small company knowing how tight margins can be and the extra service you normally receive.

I have d4 discovery commercial on auto trader you are more than welcome to haggle the price down on that and I just dropped a grand off it :laugh1:

If I can negotiate a price down I won't deal with them, I ask for the best price first.

:thumbup1: Give them one shot to give me their best price, if I can afford it and want it i'll buy it, if not 'thankyou very much but i'll leave it for the time being'.

I never reduce my price on jobs but if its a big job and nice customers I may do a bit for free if I can afford to and likewise when purchasing big items I have had the odd freebie thrown in.

Ah thanks I think

Usually I always aim to exceed expectations. I think that leaving a mess is a massive sin. You can be polite do amazing tree work but leave a mess and if the customers out sweeping and picking chogs out there hedge for weeks after your name shall be forever cursed.

I never really take a haggle because I think it implies that you were overcharging in the first place.

However if someone says can you do a job for say less, well of course you can. You have to do less and spend less time or costs. If asked I would usually say yes but we would do the job this way ie you keep the chips the logs we just do the job and you sweep.

To be honest we do little domestic work where petty haggling is. Some of commercial clients bid us up as they want us to do well (and usually there just passing on costs plus there cost)

What I ment in my comment is if your screwed on price your less inclined to go the extra mile

I hope that restores your faith in me

I often find that I end up giving two prices, one for the whiole job, one for getting it down. The domestic chainsaw/firewood enthusiast seems to be a common friend of customers, but not prepared to do the technical stuff.

Normally i never haggle but went to buy a s/h chipper this weekend so i watched a few episodes of wheeler dealers to get me in the mood :D.

The chipper was advertised for a reasonable price so I didn't try for a stupid amount. Got £150 of the chipper, a new blades/bolts set and over 50% off a nearly new Echo hedgecutter. Very happy with that.

Problem is the dealer knew that i'd travelled 200 miles to see the chipper so they knew that I would almost certainly buy it.

• 8 months later...
Just wondering who haggles with suppliers and what's the biggest discount you've managed. Do customers try to haggle your prices down. I managed to get £1000 knocked off a £11000 filling machine.

Hi RYE NO IM NO GOOD AT IT AT ALL ASK DEALERS I GET MY KIT OFF 🙏🙏🙏thanks Jon