Cleaning chains

Tommywommy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked this same question last year and got a load of flannel and bs from the "man up brigade" and made to feel like a prize t$£t for asking.

I was cutting somewhere in the region of 150, 20-30"dbh windblown ash trees that caked the chain and the top of the cutter plate so badly it was like using a blunt chain, making it annoying at best and dangerous when needing to zip through and make a quick sever on some of the stems.

I think most will think you are either OCD or a newbie trying to keep your kit shiny and well maintained (more fool you) and not looking at this from a practical level. Worse yet, you will get told to learn to sharpen your saw :sneaky2:.

I found that a scrape of the cutter plate while sharpening, bar oil to max and if poss some lengths of other timber to clean up with, a bit of noodleing will help..... a little.

I asked this same question last year and got a load of flannel and bs from the "man up brigade" and made to feel like a prize t for asking.

I was cutting somewhere in the region of 150, 20-30"dbh windblown ash trees that caked the chain and the top of the cutter plate so badly it was like using a blunt chain, making it annoying at best and dangerous when needing to zip through and make a quick sever on some of the stems.

I think most will think you are either OCD or a newbie trying to keep your kit shiny and well maintained (more fool you) and not looking at this from a practical level. Worse yet, you will get told to learn to sharpen your saw :sneaky2:.

I found that a scrape of the cutter plate while sharpening, bar oil to max and if poss some lengths of other timber to clean up with, a bit of noodleing will help..... a little.

Yea thats all very well Normandy but COME ON YOU QUINS ! :biggrin:

Had a saw given to me a while back that had been run pretty blunt and caked up with tar then sat about for a season, the chain was actually stuck in and wouldnt rotate, scraping out the bar, soaking the chain in paraffin overnight and giving it a scrub , setting the oiler on high and cutting some beech sorted it right out.

Only chain's I ever cleaned, were cycle and motor cycle chains. And only if I'd been riding through gritty mud or water filled ditches or all day in dust. Put chain in old saucepan with parafin and bring to boil, then simmer for as long as I dared. Then drip-dry chain and finally soak in warmed chain oil overnight. Then back on the bike or wrapped in oil paper and back in spares box.

Edited by TGB

I've always found that chains only end up blackened like has been described when they are being used dull and forced through timber. The extra friction causes the fine dust from a dull chain to mix with the oil and harden onto the cutter plates with the heat.

A good sharpen, and some clean timber should clean the chain. Failing that, put them in a sandwich bag with some WD40. I only oil my chains if I've sharpened them and plan to hang them up for a while before use.