What type of ear defenders do you wear on your helmet

JosephD

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha, I have the Peltor class 5 and the class 5+ which are SNR 34, which are on my helmet all of the time now.

H10P3_lg.jpg

I find them very heavy and bulky, and don't fit well over my massive ears. They don't clamp down that well either, and I have bits of stick or chip betwen the mounts and helmet to try and make them fit more tightly! I also wear plugs but find my ears are getting damaged still!

I think the safety glasses/chin straps make the defenders not fit well, and the defenders make the plugs fall out and the whole situation does my head in!

Haha, I have the Peltor class 5 and the class 5+ which are SNR 34, which are on my helmet all of the time now.

H10P3_lg.jpg

I find them very heavy and bulky, and don't fit well over my massive ears. They don't clamp down that well either, and I have bits of stick or chip betwen the mounts and helmet to try and make them fit more tightly! I also wear plugs but find my ears are getting damaged still!

I think the safety glasses/chin straps make the defenders not fit well, and the defenders make the plugs fall out and the whole situation does my head in!

At least they look decent

MSA Sordin 34snr is what i wear. I do find after a while the springs go and they don't fit as tightly.

If it is really loud i wear 34snr laser lite ear plugs as well. Downside of that is that your really cant hear that much at all.

Do you have the model number/a link for those ear muffs? I can only find Sordin 31SNR

SNR = signal to noise ratio.

But as relevant to ear defenders, you could remember it as sound noise reduction. Simply put, the defender's SNR rating, is the measured reduction in dB between measured noise at source and at the ear. So 25 SNR reduces what your ear/s are exposed to by 25dB.

Mine are standard Husky defenders and so are rated at 26 SNR. But I also carry Moldex 'Spark Plugs', which are 35 SNR. If I'm around particularly noisy stuff or milling, in go the Spank Plugs and over go the Huskys. So the level of noise my ears will be exposed to, is reduced by around 61dB.

Edited by TGB

SNR = signal to noise ratio.

But as relevant to ear defenders, you could remember it as sound noise reduction. Simply put, the defender's SNR rating, is the measured reduction in dB between measured noise at source and at the ear. So 25 SNR reduces what your ear/s are exposed to by 25dB.

Mine are standard Husky defenders and so are rated at 26 SNR. But I also carry Moldex 'Spark Plugs', which are 35 SNR. If I'm around particularly noisy stuff or milling, in go the Spank Plugs and over go the Huskys. So the level of noise my ears will be exposed to, is reduced by around 61dB.

Well yes but no, signal to noise ratio is for broadcast

In the world of hearing protection it means

SNR (Single Number Rating) is a number rating used by countries within the European Union calculated from assumed protection values according to a method given in Annex D of BS EN ISO 4869-2:1995 "Acoustics - Hearing protectors - Part 2: Estimation of effective A-weighted sound pressure levels when hearing protectors are worn".

All About Earplugs