The Pitfalls Of Importing !

forestry

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drax power station have no problem with importing wood pellets from Louisiana to fuel the power station, so they must have overcome "The Pitfalls Of Importing". !!!!

The article in one of the Sunday paper supplements a few weeks ago made interesting reading.

somewhere on the internet there is a photo of that huge pile of chip in lousiana incredible

Steve,

I also understand your argument and your frustration when we both know that the UK has much under utilised and unmanaged woodland that could fill the void in the supply of pre packaged kiln dried firewood( or truly seasoned ) It probably has more to do with the fact that the firewood market in the UK has changed so much in the last 5 years with consumers being much more aware of the sense in burning good dry firewood. That is not me saying we do not have that in the UK, that is me saying we need folk to realise this and produce what the customer is now asking for. For me I am not a " at the coalface producer", I am merely a company marketing it, and the commonsense way for me to do this is to find a producer who can supply me with the product I need. I was serious in an earlier post when I said I would switch to a UK supplier tomorrow if they can supply me with an equal product at a similar price.

I never meant to join an argument more a quest for info to understand both sides of the story. You answered all my questions and even supplied links :thumbup1:

I have seen a few times on hear a new poster advertising their products without contributing any paid advertising or contributing to the forum. The fact that you are clearly not doing this and yours is the banner above is great. I wish you luck with your business its hard enough to find something with profit in to put food on the table.

and the commonsense way for me to do this is to find a producer who can supply me with the product I need. I was serious in an earlier post when I said I would switch to a UK supplier tomorrow if they can supply me with an equal product at a similar price.

what would be your similar price for quality/well presented kiln dried ash, beach and oak?

:001

I never meant to join an argument more a quest for info to understand both sides of the story. You answered all my questions and even supplied links :thumbup1:

I have seen a few times on hear a new poster advertising their products without contributing any paid advertising or contributing to the forum. The fact that you are clearly not doing this and yours is the banner above is great. I wish you luck with your business its hard enough to find something with profit in to put food on the table.

:001_smile:

Are pellets made from highly processed and dry wood? Not justifying pellet imports for other reasons, but it is a world away from the opening picture of mouldy, wet logs in the bark.

It would be devastating to introduce Asian Longhorn beetle via dodgy logs or packaging. DEFRA used a scenario of ALHB outbreaking in Croyden to illustrate the problems faced - not pretty I can assure you.

Granted responsible importers are not likely to do this, but how close to the wind do you need to sail?

:thumbup: Bravo sir!

Had a look at your website and I must say its very professional and the product and delivery method seem to be quality, You have a good looking set up. How come you don't advertise the fact proudly that the timber is sourced, cut and packaged from Latvia?

I cant say that I agree with this business model, the idea of importing potential bugs and nasties into the UK goes against the grain for me, but having spent the day stewing over it I'm going to drop from this thread now and agree to disagree.

Normandy,

Forestry is under no obligation to state the original source of his product. Neither should his product be a threat due to 'critters', since it's kiln dried. As a matter of fact, have you actually taken into context the volume of timber both soft and hard imported into the UK annually? Maybe you should look at the bigger picture, I think you will find firewood as a small percentage and with strict EU regulations put into place you would be put under fire should your overseas purchase not be valued legal.

I understand UK timber imports are 5X the amount exported. Now that's a very arguable matter as to whether our timber is too expensive here cheaper abroad or maybe it speaks for the enormous population on this island that doesn't have the natural resources to provide its own economy with the required product. And what about the 'bugs' imported from that timber? Let alone possible disease risks from imported plants.

I think some of the comments on here are extremely ironic. Some people commenting in the past have spoken about the tight margins in firewood, about the shortage of the raw product within the UK or your local vicinity along with the constant moaning about the rising price of cordwood and how hard it is to make ends meet by selling firewood. Yet you're giving forestry a hard time for standing up for his business structure which is selling a quality product at a compatible rate.

The shortage of cordwood is because there are plenty of people buying for a start, if you advertised 250 tonnes of hardwood for sale at £50pt online you would be inundated with buyers which shows that we do have a shortage of firewood timber in the UK. However, with the costs its hard to generate a healthy profit by the time you process/store/dry/deliver in the UK.

There is a pyramid, and at the top of that pyramid is the customer and he has money to spend but he also has a budget. If you're having to buy/produce/dry/store and deliver and still have to compete it's extremely draining on your profit. Customers want a their monies worth and if buying in a cubic meter of stacked KD firewood costs Mr X £150 with a MC of 15% or buying in a loose bagged cubic meter of UK firewood from Mr Y costs £120 at 20/25% then you're in for a tough time.

Absolute Tosh, are you suggesting firewood should be treated differently from every other commodity imported into the UK - with your logic nothing should be allowed to be imported into the UK. Check where the clothes you are wearing are made, I suspect they are not made in the UK, therefore by your logic, you are doing away with manufacturing and all other associated jobs relating to clothe manufacturing. It is not rocket science !!

I buy British underwear its about the only thing left we still manufacture, my shirts come from a factory in fife about 25 miles away, I fail to see the comparison we have the woodlands already growing, we have the population on benefits who could be maintaining the woodlands instead of sat at home watching Jeremy Kyle, we no longer have a diverse clothing manufacturing industry basically underwear or suits. go find something else that is actually widely produced in the UK but we are choosing to import instead and the use that.

Almost forgot half my shoes or more are English made. my chainsaw boots are arbortec from Norfolk.

Edited by Logsnstuff