micro chippers- do they cut the mustard for day to day tree work???

Matthew Storrs

I have had a cs100 for about six weeks now, I think it's been given a work out. So;

. Great for small jobs.

. Phenomenal for it's size.

. A PITA with branch unions given the small hopper and low powered engine for the rollers.

. Yes it's door width so can be wheeled through a house, but it still weighs 200kg+ full of fuel so not the lowest ground pressure given it's two narrow wheels.

. Not towable on it's own, so you need a trailer or a Garth type to lift it into the tipper.

However I love it for small jobs as I keep more wood for firewood, which I think is more ethical. For bigger jobs I hire a bigger machine and don't have the maintenance or replacement costs to think of. So for me a one man band plus subcontractor mates and doing 2-3 days a week subcontracting for others it works a treat. A main chipper for a full time team it is not, a secondary chipper or primary for smaller outfits like mine it is bloody impressive.

Chris

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't mind cutting up all forky stuff to feed easy then thats fine.If i was you put down what you got and have the rest on the drip for a bigger machine greenmech 130/150 if your work is already 40% tree work and growing all the time no probs.That way when you do your quotes your know that you have the machine that will do the job easier and faster.

Trouble is, I live in a very rural area, iv had two chippers in the past, one was a tracked timber wolf and the other a TP200 which ran off the tractor. Wth both machines I often ended up not using them as timber/brash was burnt on site as it was quicker them chipping. The problem is when working in more urban environments/back gardens etc, burning is both time consuming and a general no go, so was trying to find a neat solution to be able to take on these type of jobs without having to hire a chipper.

I had hoped the CS100 might be the answer, but notsure now:laugh1:

I bought one late in 2009.

When I cast my mind back to the jobs we took on with it I wonder at the strength of my determination.

The last BIG job we took on using the CS100 was a medium/large cedar dismantle.

The machine was going all day, it put 6 hours on the clock (fitted from new)

Although hard work to feed, this chipper paid for the Quadchip which replaced it.

I sold it with around 240hours for £600 less than I paid for it.

It's a great machine and punches above it's weight.

I'd rather a new CS100 than ANY second hand 6" road tow machine bought from certain large U.K dealerships...

Ty

Trouble is, I live in a very rural area, iv had two chippers in the past, one was a tracked timber wolf and the other a TP200 which ran off the tractor. Wth both machines I often ended up not using them as timber/brash was burnt on site as it was quicker them chipping. The problem is when working in more urban environments/back gardens etc, burning is both time consuming and a general no go, so was trying to find a neat solution to be able to take on these type of jobs without having to hire a chipper.

I had hoped the CS100 might be the answer, but notsure now:laugh1:

We took down a decent Willow and all brash was chipped on site by our little back up jo beau 300 chipper . It surprises me every time it comes out . It will chip bigger forked limbs than our TW 125 hydraulic roller fed machine .

I bought one with out even having a demo and as said it surprises you all the time what it will take. If I need to I hire in a bigger chipper but since may I can count on one hand how many times I've needed to hire it in. You just need to change the way you work slightly but you soon get used to it

I used to mock these silly little chippers at the APF and the AA shows when they were first out.

I now own a JoBeau M300 and have used it for the last 4years, it's far more efficient than you imagine, and you don't pay people to walk about all day to the chipper.

Yes it's a niche machine, if it fits into your business model then get one, if not don't.

I've used chippers up to 12", and in my experience the bigger the chipper the further.the drag (on domestics).