micro chippers- do they cut the mustard for day to day tree work???

Matthew Storrs

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matthew hi,

CS100 is, on its own a fantastic machine. The only complaints I have are that the blades are expensive and if you try and put anything remotely gnarly, forget it( apple ivy spring to mind)pain to feed through compared to a hydraulic machine and hard dead wood, smashes fingers.

However, the main issue with these type of chippers imo, is that, If you go down this route then it determines your whole set up.

What I refer to by this is, where do you put your cs100? Locked away in a van or trailed? (The angle of feed is too high if you lave the chipper on the trailer for comfort.)behind a tipper, brand new by padlocking it to its dolly trailer? If your in a cosmopolitan area such as Birmingham then you might need someone else to keep watch out for "the not so good folk".

Should you get a refurbed hydraulic chipper if you have a tipper?

Anything + 4" can you use for logs?

heavy firs then I wouldn't put 4" wet through as if the cassette blocks, then you will curse for the rest of the day. If your into lager takedowns, all broad leafs considered and you want a cs then you must add extra time on your day to chip. You can learn to cut and stack as you take down with consideration to the chipper concerned.

I did a re pollard on a row of Lombardi pops and the cs ate them up as my buddy sain well pop chip really well..

So if its going to be your only machine then im afraid your decision is made depending on how you can manage what ever you buy, waste included.

My set up is a Landy with chipper, towing a tipping trailer. My good buddy has a 9" road tow behind an Iveco tipper. Between us both we are covered.

There is a very experienced chap up north of the boarder did set up his works around the cs by using a luton van with a tail lift. Clever and staff efficient.

Lots to consider. I wonder if this will help.

All the best and good luck

I was meaning the green mechs hopper is at the steering end!

There is no doubt on a chipping competition, a bigger chipper will chip more.

I used to have a Bandit 250 tow behind!

Shall I go on a Tracked TW thread and laugh at their machines and tell them they should get 1 of them because it's bigger?

I would sound very naive!

I've been doing this job for nearly 20 years, owned and operated a huge amount of machines, the 1 that has simplified mine the most and made me the most money,mis the CS 100! If you can't work out why some of us use them then just think we are daft but let us advise others that may see the bigger picture

I have little against the machine, in the right circumstances sure, when Davescay said it chipped quicker a tracked 6" TW I doubted the veracity.

In a thread where the question was "would a micro chipper cut the mustard for day to day tree work" an inaccuracy like that was worth pointing out.

As was your weird assertion that a tracked chipper has "an end"