micro chippers- do they cut the mustard for day to day tree work???

Matthew Storrs

I use my cs100 for my day to day work since I bought it I can count on one hand the times I've hired in a bigger chipper. So yes I'd say it can be done you just work more methodically instead of horseing in big bigs

More methodically = slower

Anyway I've said my piece, the question was asked, I've given my opinion, it's turned into the "wee chipper club" so.....enjoy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More methodically = slower

Anyway I've said my piece, the question was asked, I've given my opinion, it's turned into the "wee chipper club" so.....enjoy.

Wasn't having a dig at you mate. I wouldn't say methodically made it majorly slower

I did demo the cs100 the other day and for the size I was really pretty impressed, However- it answer to my original question it won't cut the mustard for a large percentage of my jobs, We are a two man team when doing most tree work and im mostly on the ground on my own- trying to keep up with the climber is hard work enough on larger take down, and really I just want to crank the chipper on shove it all through and get back to grounding, I'm sure I would getfrustrated with the smaller machine, although on the right jobs and smaller jobs I can see it would come into its own.

back to the drawing board for now but at least iv decided on this aspect.

Sorry i'll try and qualify why its quicker for me anyway.

I tried it on a industrial unit. I was mainly putting 2-3" stuff through it that was growing in shrub beds. Mainly self set bits.

It pulls the small stuff in quicker, as its light to move around you can just keep pulling it to where you need it. No need to walk to the front, engage the drive and move the machine forward. Just pull it along where you need it. So as far as i'm concerned i would say that this machine would be quicker given this scenario.

Of course if i was chipping bigger stuff than a larger machine would be quicker.

I am a landscaper rather than a arborist so really don't have the need for the larger machine, when i do i hire one in with a operator.

Also i've only ever hired the same tracked TW from the same person so can only go off that one machine.

Edited by Davescay
addition to the comment