micro chippers- do they cut the mustard for day to day tree work???

Matthew Storrs

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very impressed with the CS100 when demo'ed for me at APF this year, I am seriously considering buying one. Re original post, 'day to day jobs' not sure what this means exactly ... one crew's day to day job may be another crews once a month job - no disrespect, some outfits are better equipped than others.

One thing no-one has mentioned yet on this topic is how much easier it is to securely store a small machine like the CS100 than a big towable road chipper, & how much this makes your life easier and you expenses incl. insurance lower if you are a small outfit like mine.

I have had no end of problems trying to hire 6" towable chippers for big jobs short term hire - anyone on here who knows a good supplier, or is providing hire of man + chipper for a job in Nottingham city in next two weeks at a reasonable rate, use of your own truck for chip disposal not required as I've got my own, just need you to get chipper to and from site, please PM me.

So I guess in summary my personal experience is that I can get by with small chippers for the majority of jobs I do, but for those occasional big jobs, some more 'muscle' is required. On the other hand, buying & running a small chipper will cost a lot less than a bigger one, is it worth it going for a bigger one even second hand, especially second hand - a brand new 4" chipper vs a used 6" with no warranty, no comeback etc. it's like buying a second hand car...

Personally i think its not if its up to the job its more what you can deal with and time etc.

i have a cs100 and its awesome, perfect tool for 70% jobs i do and for the other 30% i rent a 8 or 12" chipper where i need to. at the end of the day it all depends on your set up.. if you own a tipper transit ,truck, lorry then buy a road tow. I'm my case i have a pick up so i chuck it on the back and tow a 12ft ifor tipper. chip anything up to 5" and rest goes on as logs and sold once processed into firewood.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachments/large-equipment/167425d1413845203-wee-chipper-club-image.jpg

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachments/large-equipment/167426d1413845289-wee-chipper-club-image.jpg

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachments/arb-trucks/157030d1400706664-arb-trailer-10363657_10154165918650599_3217529762802591475_n.jpg

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t51.2885-15/926854_613375685448705_665453299_n.jpg

the way i see it is its a good tool to help you get everything on in one load where as normally if i just chucked the brash on then that would be a load and logs with be another, this way i can fit most jobs a whole tree on and only make one trip to the yard at the end of the day :)

Just thought i'd add my 2p worth to the thread. I used to hire a tracked timber wolf 6" feed.

I've had a CS100 on demo today. I'm a landscapers rather than a arborist so have no need for a bigger machine most the time.

Today i used if for some Elder, dog wood, and some various other bushes/trees.

I found that its quicker than TW especially with the smaller stuff, as its relatively light you can keep moving it you where the waste is. Its quieter too.

Although i never had any big stuff to put through it handled 2-3" branches fine.

I have been convinced to buy one and with 2 yrs interest free credit it makes it a bit easier to buy.

I'll be hiring it out with a operator when it arrives.

Its surprising what it can do

Just thought i'd add my 2p worth to the thread. I used to hire a tracked timber wolf 6" feed.

I've had a CS100 on demo today. I'm a landscapers rather than a arborist so have no need for a bigger machine most the time.

Today i used if for some Elder, dog wood, and some various other bushes/trees.

I found that its quicker than TW especially with the smaller stuff, as its relatively light you can keep moving it you where the waste is. Its quieter too.

Although i never had any big stuff to put through it handled 2-3" branches fine.

I have been convinced to buy one and with 2 yrs interest free credit it makes it a bit easier to buy.

I'll be hiring it out with a operator when it arrives.

Its surprising what it can do

Quicker than a (presumably 35hp) TW, don't make me laugh!