Oak Butt

Treemanuk

I guess that means you're not interested in the timber. If so, Fair enough.

I didn't think I'd be insulted ( thinly veiled).

Never mind. I'll just fell it and get on with my uncomfortable and sun reading life

Cheers

That's not what I meant, apologies if it came across that way.

To answer your question, no, I can't take the timber - maybe if closer, who knows.

It's just that your post, whilst asking a very specific question, caused me to think about a different issue. It happens all the time with many threads. I guess it can be frustrating for the person that makes the original post but it also (sometimes) leads onto to broader discussions - some informative, some humorous, some pointless, etc, etc but it happens. Dare I say, it even happens sometimes that I wish I'd just skipped over a post rather than getting sucked in!

Apologies for taking a slightly tangential direction from your original question.

I don't mean to cause offence by asking the question I asked. Perhaps if I start a new thread something like - "Have you been asked to fell a tree prior to a formal planning application being submitted in order to avoid the possibility of a TPO (perhaps more cleverly worded) would be a better place to explore the issue.

And the reason I asked the question is simply because I recently received a similar request. I had a look through Minors, talked to few people and made my decision.

The Sun reading comment wasn't meant for you at all, that's why I rolled the eyes back....!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem, sorry if I misinterpreted your comments.

It might well be that the owners want the tree gone b4 the planning app. goes in, I don't know.

For certain reasons, I have not been privy to that info so cannot answer that question.

Yes, the tree is a beauty but like I said, it's coming down no matter what, so I decided to accept the job.

To me it looks like a possibly medieval pollard oak with recovered overgrowth over previous large branch stubs. Shame its not well recorded or protected....Most Ive seen don't recover & overgrow that well.

Shame if it goes , but sadly greed rules the world...

Anyone who just rings it up for firewood though is a fool to themselves... At least cut it in half to see what its like......first..

If its not hollow & rotted out, pics of it sawn in half would sell it. If its amazing you'll do well.

If not you've lost a little time & learnt a lot & seen inside that old beauty.

And it can still be firewood....

spiral

It might well be that the owners want the tree gone b4 the planning app. goes in, I don't know.

For certain reasons, I have not been privy to that info so cannot answer that question.

Yes, the tree is a beauty but like I said, it's coming down no matter what, so I decided to accept the job.

Fair do's fella, sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place! There could be options / alternatives but you're best placed to know what to do. Didn't mean to get your back up.

Well put mate.

I was interested in canopy pics because they can help in guessing what state the butt is in, pretty much as per Spirals post.

Does seem a shame, but if it was worth a TPO it should have had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Well put mate.

I was interested in canopy pics because they can help in guessing what state the butt is in, pretty much as per Spirals post.

Does seem a shame, but if it was worth a TPO it should have had one.

The canopy is in great health...no dieback at all.

I shall do as spiral suggests and post pics if they are worth it.

And thanks for advise Spiral.

20140911_155008_Android.jpg.1a4431607d68e5285b8405b08c81559b.jpg

20140911_155037_Android.jpg.dfc49bc04ad1d41b19961f5bb74fad67.jpg

20140911_155115_Android.jpg.c03f1beb22c22a8257cb123a2f48932b.jpg

Does the butt have to leave site immediately? There should be some funky grain in there for sure.

Come on lads, anyone near Leeds with an Alaskan should surely be interested? I would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

i'll second that. someone needs to save this tree, don't let it get ringed up please...

try putting it on woodlots?

is there no one with a mill that can use it???