Oak Butt

Treemanuk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with Skyhuck on the ropiness factor. If that had been my first cut any subsequent cuts would have been for firewood! Whilst not every board has to be pristine for furniture there are too many inclusions for my liking and the middle of the facing cut log looks like it could be very soft. It will warp and split like hell as it dries. I don't have plenty of free space for boards like that and they normally end up in the stove.

Maybe I am spoilt for choice with plenty of free top quality logs! Most of my work is very high end cabinet work for whisky companies and I am very fussy about my timber. That's why I got into milling my own logs in the first place about 15 years ago

Mike

Some Companies buy such tables for their board rooms and they have the cash :001_smile:

Examples of such 6ft wide 12 ft long pieces? Of similar timber?

Ive worked sub contract for famous cabinet makers who sell the £30,000 tables, {that had there name on but they never touched.} {15 plus years ago..}

Those timbers were rather special, & the proportions rather good.

The grain is certainly interesting.

I think it looks like a bloke with with his pig-shaped cock draped in front of the woman's head who is kneeling in front of him.[ATTACH]167131[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Is it a pig shaped cock or a pig shaped women? Or both?

Have to agree with Skyhuck on the ropiness factor. If that had been my first cut any subsequent cuts would have been for firewood! Whilst not every board has to be pristine for furniture there are too many inclusions for my liking and the middle of the facing cut log looks like it could be very soft. It will warp and split like hell as it dries. I don't have plenty of free space for boards like that and they normally end up in the stove.

Maybe I am spoilt for choice with plenty of free top quality logs! Most of my work is very high end cabinet work for whisky companies and I am very fussy about my timber. That's why I got into milling my own logs in the first place about 15 years ago

Mike

Heart cut might be interesting..? but yes if rotten no good...

I can admire character in timber, but stability is often key, You can sometimes design round it, but stability is important for most things.

As I said to the thread starter, starter, cut it in half , if its good that's great, if not its still firewood...

Examples of such 6ft wide 12 ft long pieces? Of similar timber?

Ive worked sub contract for famous cabinet makers who sell the £30,000 tables, {that had there name on but they never touched.} {15 plus years ago..}

Those timbers were rather special, & the proportions rather good.

Thats a great comment, and rather telling....:001_smile:

I loved the piece too, some folk cant see the wood for the tree

Thats a great comment, and rather telling....:001_smile:

I loved the piece too, some folk cant see the wood for the tree

So you think that on the cuts shown so far it looks better as the wood than the tree?

I love timber & trees myself... But first cut doesn't look boardroom quality to me...

We seem to have got at cross purposes, I was earlier saying I thought this timber looked very poor.

My comment about board room tables was not in reference to this timber, but to your comment about no one wanting a single plank table 6' by 18'.