Roundup to be banned in the UK, ?

SteveA

Is food too cheap? Yes.

Is organic food too expensive? Yes.

Is Roundup/ Monsanto,etc bad for environmental health (inc people)? Yes.

Is having large fields of mono-crops going to be a problem for pest/weed management? Yes.

Is there an alternative? Yes, always.

Looks like others are thinking along the same lines..

UN: only small farmers and agroecology can feed the world - The Ecologist

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if they ban it all together and food prices go up be plenty of people twisting on.. Aldi survives on low prices and there business is booming as people dont want to pay for people to pick it or organic.. Its the reality of life...

Torden 22k has just been banned and was the best herbicide for JK if being done on an large scale, been replaced with garlon ultra which does not work as well so more sprayings , so more chemical out there. Whem Mrs Smith house backs onto land with an infestation and she cant sell her house,who she gonna blame!! too many do gooders and hypocrites to be honest....

A client has received an official warning for spraying water lilies on her lake with Roundup.

The same offence, she sprayed the banks of the lake too.

Filmed doing it and denounced for it.

Silly woman!

In the same water catchment zone large fields are sprayed off, effluent from farms washed into streams feeding the lake and old tractors leaking hydraulic oils and diesel run up and down the lanes.

On what scale are pollution causes measured...?

Ty

It's also quite possible to grow enough food and quite possibly more than enough food without Roundup. Just not with current monoculture farm systems.

=1 hate using roundup or any chemical if i can there is alternatives.

what did we do before all these chemical came about. i know we need to grow crops but there has to be a better way than spraying everything in sight

what did we do before all these chemical came about. i know we need to grow crops but there has to be a better way than spraying everything in sight

There was not 70 million people to feed and people wanting perfect looking vegtables/fruit...

and cheap

When I was at school there was only one fat kid.

She was the one that got bullied for being fat, poor girl. Her parents owned a sweet shop.

I don't consider myself old, both parents still alive and kicking etc. In my lifetime there has been hunger from lack of food, that is what we did.

The 40 acres of just oil seed rape is the problem. Thousands of the same plant across a huge area isn't a good start.

So in my forty acres you want me to have 3 acres of oats, 4 acres of linseed, 2.7 acres of barley, bit of grass, some maize. Do you realise the logistical, financial, time and ecological problems that would cause?

So in my forty acres you want me to have 3 acres of oats, 4 acres of linseed, 2.7 acres of barley, bit of grass, some maize. Do you realise the logistical, financial, time and ecological problems that would cause?

It wouldn't cause any ecological problems. Only economic ones. Which as others have mentioned is what it all boils down to.

Ok, so if we had smaller fields, due to crops developing at different times you would forever be driving over everything, many times, increasing compaction, so increasing the amount of cultivation required, burning more diesel burning a bigger hole in the ozone and profits. Even at current methods of rtk and control traffic 80% of cultivation work done is removing the compaction from last seasons crop work.

What about other chemicals then? Today i put on over a tonne of tri-allate, which when it comes wet will need spraying off with some form of glyphosate based product. This is after the pre emergants that have already gone on. But without it what would we have? A field full of black grass and weeds.

I do agree something has to be done about the whole agriculture industry, but i just can not see how banning glyphosate will achieve anything, only poorer quality grain, less yield and more weeds year on year