How important 750kg chipper

Hardmet

Im also toying with the idea of chippers

750 kg chipper 6" with a letterbox opening so takes in branches less snedding, also easier to move around

or bigger chipper 1.2-1.4 t big opening same as smaller chipper, but more hp 55 against 34... pain to move also more strain on the truck?

I'm thinking tracked 6" chipper up to now... though still sat on the fence!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand anyone who would buy a 750kg chipper just because they don't have a trailer license. For the sake of 600 quid and a few days, you will have the option to be more productive with a bigger chipper for years to come, also what about towing a trailer load of rings.... IMO anyone doing tree work should consider +E as essential as your cs tickets.

I used to run the risk towing without my trailer license but I feel soo much better now I have it and also have no limits up to 3.5kg trailers.

In reply to Matthews pro B+E comments, which are fair enough in the present. I would be considering how to avoid any more driving red tape, currently it maybe a case of yes get it and you have it. But everything is getting more bureaucratic, certificates, resfreshers etc. When I did my chainsaw course it was "sorted for life" already many are requiring refreshers, driving is only going the same way. I have the next 2 days of my life finishing the CPC.Which as mentioned elsewhere is a load of twaddle. and paying for the privledge of it whilst not earning anything.

Vehicles and movement of goods/services is essential to modern life and thoroughly plunderable with taxation and stupidity. Manufacturers of equipment respond, remember the con of getting a 4x4 pickup with 4 doors as a commercial and family vehicle which was later kicked in the nuts on other policies.

Maybe I've been around too long and am paranoid.

I would do firewood and chip the brash. Which not too long ago we just burnt it!

do you do domestic tree work?

Me? Yes I do, and there is a lot going for the 750kg chipper, ease of manhandling, cheaper to buy, and if you keep everything thicker than 3-4" for logs then you may not benefit form an 8" chipper as much. My above post meant that if your business would actually benefit from having a bigger chipper- why would you let a simple trailer test stand in the way. You'll soon forget the cost of doing it and reap the benefits of being able to utilize it.

Of course the problem with having a bigger chipper is you can only fill up your truck just as much as a smaller one would, so in essense a 750kg makes a very good partnership with a 3.5t tipper anyway.

Swings and round abouts.

not used one of these letter box style sub 750's yet but the design sounds perfect. the only time i want more than 6 inch is when there is a union on a 4 inch branch- anything else is logs.

Got my b+e but having a lightweight chipper is easier for the truck to pull and easier for me to move myself. Not the be all and end all but something i take in to consideration