big or giant ??

we dont get many down here but the yha youth hostle that we are doing the work for have planted 2 coast red woods and 2 giant red woods , i was looking at one of the coast red woods that was planted 10 years ago (grown from seed) and its already nearly 25 foot tall , what are the monterey pines like over there , im told they dont grow to the same sies as they do over here

Not sure about Monterey pines unless you mean Monterey Cypress, which I've mainly seen along the Oregon and California coast cities.

Here is a page of a Pinus / Monterey pine here:

ChampionTreesReport

And a page for the cypress:

http//159.121.125.11/bigtrees/Champs/Montereaycypr.html

I've seen the cypress - pass it every time I camp at Brookings, Oregon - like next weekend again :001_cool:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the tree we are taking down is 120 feet tall and has a crown spread of roughly 120 feet

you are going to be about 7 stone by friday mate, with no skin left on your shins or hips:ohmy:enjoy the crown because the trunk will be a killer, wedges and a giant lever mate. good luck. think of the wonga. i will stick a pint behind the bar for you :001_cool:

From looking on Flickr or Webshots, it's evident that there are some nice giant sequoia over there.

Got any nice Sequioadendron photos?

The trunks are so remarkably fat.

Sorry to jump in on the thread. This was a big Wellingtonia I toke out a few years back. About 120ft I think. Taller than the church steeple anyway.

Looking forward to the pine photos

IMG_3778.jpg.57192a451e23476f9412ce612e5ed6b2.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg.470a8c81377e5b4081b1b0fbb2b658d1.jpg

bt3.jpg.648a201fc66d945d99bafb3c0b1f303d.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg.077f9b1aefbe90928112ba91f1902b55.jpg

bt.jpg.1d1a97c8135bd3f99c1c047df789c5d1.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg.4c7450246c5f34bba240dc2d334cf628.jpg

better.jpg.6be3dc082d13666b9b74a53fc4112189.jpg

best.jpg.3a963e48b689f689cecd0e2e6b28ac2c.jpg

It had honey fungus and had been indecline for many years. Can't remember who was the consultant at the time but they reccomended felling. I don't think there is any evidence (to my knowledge) of wellingtonias falling over in the UK. There is another wellingtonia and a cedar on the site which at the time had no evidence of HF

It had honey fungus and had been indecline for many years. Can't remember who was the consultant at the time but they reccomended felling. I don't think there is any evidence (to my knowledge) of wellingtonias falling over in the UK. There is another wellingtonia and a cedar on the site which at the time had no evidence of HF

Appologies for the continued derail CTS, but I find Gibbons post of great interest :001_smile:

Wonder whether HF was primary reason for decline, or whether root dysfunction was mechanical in origin or pathogenic ?

Looks like it would of been a very interesting case study for root exploration and/or root plate invigouration.

Do you remember if the Consultant ever considered alternatives to felling?

I've not noted Sequoiadendron to be generally associated in the species lists for susceptibility or resistance.

Maybe our American cousins could enlighten further?

Have you ever had the occasion to revisit the site to note the current health of the other Welly, with regards to it being on a site with HF?

Edited by Monkey-D