Timberwolf launches the All-New TW 230DHB

Steve Bullman

One thing that worries me is that with the new legislation being a 750kg weight limit how are you managing to save weight?

Are you using a thinner steel? lightweight bearings? more plastic?

And if these chippers are so well made why didn't you make them lightweight before the new legislation?

Helium in the tyres, it was already discussed :lol:

He did say they've recently invested in a new design software... Thing about modern technology, it wasn't available 6 months prior to when you get it, let alone a few years ago, you only need look at some saws for that to be obvious

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that worries me is that with the new legislation being a 750kg weight limit how are you managing to save weight?

Are you using a thinner steel? lightweight bearings? more plastic?

I would worry that all these chippers that are sub 750kg are made down to a spec and are not going to last in the long term.

Take for instance the Vermeer 625, I have one of these and the thing is 15 years old and bomb proof. Yes i have replaced the engine but things like the bearings are so over engineered and the steel is nice and thick so it lasts forever.

I doubt that these new chippers will still be around in 15 years time.

And if these chippers are so well made why didn't you make them lightweight before the new legislation?

Thanks for your considered questions. I will try and give full and frank answers to each part without boring the pants off you!

Are you using a thinner steel?

No. The original design of the 150DHB is 19 years old and was designed on a 2D (flat) CAD package. This chipper has been widely recognised as the most successful sub 750kg chipper. Although the machine went through extensive revisions to 'keep it modern' it is basically constrained by the original design that carries extra weight that can't be moved/used in other parts of the machine. The 230 has enabled us to take weight out of one area and invest it in places where we can gain performance i.e. the old rotor on the 150DHB weighs 40kgs whereas the 230 weighs 66kgs!

lightweight bearings?

No. The bearings fitted to the 230 are larger and have a higher rating than those fitted to the Greenmech or Forst plus they are greasable.

I would worry that all these chippers that are sub 750kg are made down to a spec and are not going to last in the long term.

We have been making compact chippers for a long time - we have made thousands of them - the vast majority are still running. If you look on Earborist Timberwolf chippers command very good second-hand values compared with competitors with similar models, this is because no matter what the age the Timberwolf (or Entec) is made of modular construction and no matter what the condition it is possible for someone to rebuild it and get some useful life from the machine. Knowing how the TW 230 has been put together I have every confidence in saying this chipper will outlast a 150DHB - and they are still going at 19 years old so I would refute your statement.

Take for instance the Vermeer 625, I have one of these and the thing is 15 years old and bomb proof.

I agree, a very solid machine, but I would also hazard a guess that you are the owner operator and it is you that has helped the machine to put in such a sterling performance over all these years. It is also our experience that we have far fewer problems with owner/operators.

I doubt that these new chippers will still be around in 15 years time.

The 150DHB has already been around more than 15 years and with all the modern computer aided design packages available to us the 230 is a seriously tough little chipper that is fully capable of having a life greater than 15 years – more so than the 150DHB and that is still going strong!

We only react to demand, we make sub 750kg chippers because that is what a lot of people in the UK like to work with, so we try to make them the best possible chipper to that specification. We have taken our time but bi-eck we’ve produced a little cracker this time!

We do also make some very nice chippers over 750kg as well!

I don’t quite understand the question. The 150DHB already complied with the legislation, we have been investing in our R&D department, this is the 1st model to come out of the stable that has had the benefit of all our knowledge applied through the latest design packages and we are really pleased with the results as it lifts the bar on what you can expect from a sub 750kg chipper.

Regards

Richard

I wish Timber Wolf all the very best with their new machine.

My first chipper was a Entec Chippit 25, it was a demonstrator with very few hours on it. That chipper built my business!!! I got superb support from both Entec (now TW) and David Orange.

This new machine looks excellent, its British built and a representative of the manufacturer is on here late into the night answering peoples questions!!!!! I wish Stihl would take a leaf out of their book!!!

After reading post after post about how easy it is to move a sub 750kg machine around on your own we did our own testing yesterday on a flat lawn. 3 people is the result.[ATTACH]164305[/ATTACH]

Nasty responses on a postcard please.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Ha ha! There is an art to it, first twist it so both wheels are free then one on the front lifting the jockey and pulling then the guy on the back pushes, whatever happens don't stop.

Not having to drag brush is a powerful incentive as well!

After reading post after post about how easy it is to move a sub 750kg machine around on your own we did our own testing yesterday on a flat lawn. 3 people is the result.[ATTACH]164305[/ATTACH]

Nasty responses on a postcard please.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Morning

They are salesmen - not tree surgeons!!!

That is an unfair test!

Richard

Edited by Timberwolf Sales
Forgot the punch line!