Preparing saw for storage ...

Logdaft

We had experience of a certain brand of bio-chain oil oxidising when left in a saw that wasn't used for a few weeks. The oil pump seized up, and the chain and sprocket also seized. This was about 5 years ago mind you, so hopefully the manufacturers have come up with a solution by now. We switched brand after that, so don't have a definitive answer either way.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had experience of a certain brand of bio-chain oil oxidising when left in a saw that wasn't used for a few weeks. The oil pump seized up, and the chain and sprocket also seized. This was about 5 years ago mind you, so hopefully the manufacturers have come up with a solution by now. We switched brand after that, so don't have a definitive answer either way.

Just use near boiling water to free it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Eddie@aspen - Hi mate can you advise? I just recently heard about Aspen and bought 5 litres. I half filled my garden machines' tanks with aspen and ran them for a while before putting them away for winter. Two of my machines - the strimmer and hedgecutter are older machines that I think require a 25:1 petrol/oil mix. Is aspen OK for them? And also, when I want to use the machines again is it OK to top up the tanks with petrol/2-stroke oil mix - Cheers

I think the worst thing you can do to any machine is leave it sitting. If i dont use it i seĺl it or just run it up once a month and work it if i can. All the tools i have left sitting around just get coverd in dust and are never the same as before storage. Tools i use daily are ready for action all the time and if they fail there is a quick fix to get them back in action!

I think the worst thing you can do to any machine is leave it sitting. If i dont use it i seĺl it or just run it up once a month and work it if i can. All the tools i have left sitting around just get coverd in dust and are never the same as before storage. Tools i use daily are ready for action all the time and if they fail there is a quick fix to get them back in action!

so true! I hate a machine sitting around for a week-let alone months:laugh1:

Eddie@aspen - Hi mate can you advise? I just recently heard about Aspen and bought 5 litres. I half filled my garden machines' tanks with aspen and ran them for a while before putting them away for winter. Two of my machines - the strimmer and hedgecutter are older machines that I think require a 25:1 petrol/oil mix. Is aspen OK for them? And also, when I want to use the machines again is it OK to top up the tanks with petrol/2-stroke oil mix - Cheers

Hi,

I get asked this a lot.

Aspen2 uses a very high grade oil and so will cover all modern mix ratios.

Look in a Stihl or Husqvarna handbook and it will say if you use there oil (good quality) mix at 50:1 or mix at 25:1 if using an other brand because they don't know how good it is.

We have loads of our dealers who only use Aspen in their workshops and put it in every machine. They only use Aspen4 and Aspen2 and don't do any 2stroke mixing.

We are 100% it will be Ok for your machine.

Call me on 07568108953 or email [email protected] if you have any more questions.

All the best

Eddie