Quotes

colwoodlandcare

If the client offers me the other prices before I give mine it's handy.

Would I drop my price? Yes, if I have to to secure the job.

I always laugh when people on forums go on about how they never drop their prices and you don't want those sort of clients.

If I quote say a grand on a job, and the client says "can you do it for 900?" As long as there's still good money in it the answer is yes.

:thumbup1: Got to agree with you there :001_smile:

When I look at a job I have two figures in my head, the price I would like and the lowest price I could do it for, hopefully I win the job with a figure somewhere between the two :001_smile:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll adjust the price if I can adjust the spec.

Oh, all right then, if we can leave 2 tonnes of gnarly willow at the bottom of your long garden instead of handballing it all out I suppose I could knock fifty quid off....

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Be worth going to watch, Tim. Might make a few bob from Harry Hill. :001_smile:

I did exactly that a few year ago . I got asked to remove a 50 ft Sycamore in a really limited drop zone ( Courtyard ) . The client called me and said that she had a cheaper price and that they could start this coming Saturday . I only priced the job on Thursday ? Lost the job to a local gardening company . So I thought I got to check this out anyway it pissed down all day . I watched them from the comfort of my truck with coffee in hand for 20mins . 4 Men truck chipper 3 days £ 400 :lol: I got the stumpgrinding job £ 150 for 90 mins . To be fair the tree was down by noon of the second day . Just really restricted access .

I did exactly that a few year ago . I got asked to remove a 50 ft Sycamore in a really limited drop zone ( Courtyard ) . The client called me and said that she had a cheaper price and that they could start this coming Saturday . I only priced the job on Thursday ? Lost the job to a local gardening company . So I thought I got to check this out anyway it pissed down all day . I watched them from the comfort of my truck with coffee in hand for 20mins . 4 Men truck chipper 3 days £ 400 :lol: I got the stumpgrinding job £ 150 for 90 mins . To be fair the tree was down by noon of the second day . Just really restricted access .

Nice. :biggrin:

:thumbup1: Got to agree with you there :001_smile:

When I look at a job I have two figures in my head, the price I would like and the lowest price I could do it for, hopefully I win the job with a figure somewhere between the two :001_smile:

Similar thing when I do quotes...

I tend to give the price I can afford to do the job for and if they jump at it I'll then mention VAT. That's when the haggling usually starts, but at least it still leaves some sweetness in the price for both parties. If they baulk at the first price I explain that qualifications, insurance and work carried out to a good standard don't come cheaply. We're not short of work and being a charitable business people like the fact that as well as getting a reasonable price they're money is going to a good cause.

We're doing about 45 quotes a week at the moment and probably landing about 60-70% of them.

Similar thing when I do quotes...

I tend to give the price I can afford to do the job for and if they jump at it I'll then mention VAT. That's when the haggling usually starts, but at least it still leaves some sweetness in the price for both parties. If they baulk at the first price I explain that qualifications, insurance and work carried out to a good standard don't come cheaply. We're not short of work and being a charitable business people like the fact that as well as getting a reasonable price they're money is going to a good cause.

We're doing about 45 quotes a week at the moment and probably landing about 60-70% of them.

:001_huh: 45 quotes per week!! Wow thats impressive!!

I do 4 to 5 a week :blushing:

If I had wanted to do it a lower price then I would have offered a lower price in the first place. If I read that on a quote it would tell me the person doing the quote has some extra profit in the first price offered. In other words it was over priced in the first place. If the business did drop the price in a 2nd round for pricing then they would probably cut a few corners in the work itself to try and achieve the original expected profit. In effect the customer could end up with a worse service or could be a low priority compared to other normal profit orders?

If I had wanted to do it a lower price then I would have offered a lower price in the first place. If I read that on a quote it would tell me the person doing the quote has some extra profit in the first price offered. In other words it was over priced in the first place. If the business did drop the price in a 2nd round for pricing then they would probably cut a few corners in the work itself to try and achieve the original expected profit. In effect the customer could end up with a worse service or could be a low priority compared to other normal profit orders?

Honestly I do wonder at what goes on in people's heads sometimes.

"If I wanted to do it for a lower price I would have offered a lower price in the first place"

Muppetry pure and simple.

:001_huh: 45 quotes per week!! Wow thats impressive!!

I do 4 to 5 a week :blushing:

We invest a lot of resources in advertising... This brings in a lot of enquiries so not every job is a climb or large. We do a lot of hedges. Small trees etc.. as well as bigger stuff. Smaller jobs seem to be the most profitable if we can squeeze 3 or 4 in a day. That's when being efficient really pays off. Same as everyone.. some days are better than others and I don't mind admitting, we've made our fair share of costly mistakes. But that's how we've learned a lot of stuff... The hard way :)

It is sad when you think about all the "so called" firms out there devaluing the market working for pittance only to be out of the game months later when they find they can't sustain their business 'cos they aren't earning enough.