vegan boots?

Mark Lutman

Whilst I agree up to a point, where do you draw the line? Non leather boots (or any substitute product) may well cause harm to other animals/people in its production and transport. Such as increased energy required to produce it stemming from extra coal mining, or being developed in institutions which could be involved in testing on animals, or poor working conditions/child labour in its raw material production.

If you have a pet dog would you kill any ticks or flees it may have?

What about day to day products and living - drive a car? Use anything like a mobile phone/computer? All the vast habitats and creatures destroyed to make way for material mining, drilling, transport networks, rainforest deforestation for rubber, palm oil, even Brazil nuts, are immense compared to slaughtering a well cared for free range animal to feed many mouths and make use of all its body parts like leather. Even the house you live in probably caused the death and loss of home for many animals.

And then there is the issue of what do class as a sentient being?!

I really don't mean to sound like a ranting animal murderer. I very much care for animal welfare and support the free range organic farmers rather than buying mass produced, battery farmed meat etc. Equally I am not trying to belittle your beliefs and dietary choices, just wondering where you draw the line and what you base you views on.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

I would guess his morals stop at killing and eating, as he is a cutter like the rest of us, so partakes in the destruction of habitat and ecology.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lads, please don't take the piss. :thumbdown:

Being vegan is a perfectly ethically justifiable position, one that is far more ethically consistent than being vegetarian. There is an issue for vegans in arboriculture because there are no non-leather boots. I remember it being a real issue for me - I was still vegan for about the first 18 months of my tree work.

In the end I bought a good pair of leather boots because there was no other option, and that is what it comes down to. If you want good, comfortable (and safe) footwear for chainsaw work, you have to buy leather boots.

well im vegan for the animals,as all vegans should be,we do not have the right to exploit another sentinent for our benefit,fullstop...try watching the film Earthlings,then tell me otherwise,so yeah,even if they dont last as long,ill still not have the killing of another being ...just for a pair of boots...on my conscience...thats it really,just MY belief...thanks for the help anyway...

:thumbup1:

Mark, it would help your case if you weren't quite so evangelical about your veganism. I found when I was vegan that I was able to convert more people to vegetarianism/veganism by having quite moderate and non-judgemental discussions rather than making controversial statements. In the end, I decided to cease to be vegan as whilst it's an ideal way of feeding people in a city, it's not terribly sustainable in rural Scotland.

As a lot of people have said, it's a lifestyle choice for the OP and all he asked for was a pair of manmade boots which he has now found. I hope the material is a good leather substitute not like the old Corfam artificial leather shoes that my brother in law used to buy. It was going to be the all singing all dancing no maintenance alternative for footwear but all it really did was make his feet stink really bad. :(

ok in response to where i draw the line,yes a line has to be drawn somewhere,but i do ALL i can in this world to minamise the impact my life has on all other animals,animals were NOT put on this earth to feed us,all the nutrients needed can be got from plants at a fraction of the cost to the enviroment,yes i am a cutter,but nine times out of ten i work with an ecologist to minamise the damage caused.a lot of the time im finding that people find it easier to eat what they like,without looking into what they are really eating and the affects etc,maybe do your homework,open your eyes a bit,or is ignorance,bliss....anyway,ill leave you to it,thanks for your help,those that did,and yes I come across a bit confrontational,but then again,im speaking for all the animals killed everyday,just so you lot can have a snack...sweet dreams....

ok in response to where i draw the line,yes a line has to be drawn somewhere,but i do ALL i can in this world to minamise the impact my life has on all other animals,animals were NOT put on this earth to feed us,all the nutrients needed can be got from plants at a fraction of the cost to the enviroment,yes i am a cutter,but nine times out of ten i work with an ecologist to minamise the damage caused.a lot of the time im finding that people find it easier to eat what they like,without looking into what they are really eating and the affects etc,maybe do your homework,open your eyes a bit,or is ignorance,bliss....anyway,ill leave you to it,thanks for your help,those that did,and yes I come across a bit confrontational,but then again,im speaking for all the animals killed everyday,just so you lot can have a snack...sweet dreams....

They were not "put here" at all, they evolved here, many eat other animals as part of the food chain, we just happen to generally be the top of those food chains.

Good for you. I'd imagine that your high horse is happier as well knowing that you aren't going to be tempted.

Big J, I look out for your posts as you come across as a genuine chap and therefore I have a lot of time for your way of getting a point across.:thumbup1: