Disco 3 & 4

Daniel Jiggins

I have run Discos since 1992, just sold the last one, a TD5 ES with 262,000 on it, the 200 before it sold at 275,000. Now running a Defender.

The Disco 4 (04 on) according to my independent repairer is a real money pit to be avoided at all costs. A friend has two, these run pulling big car trailers all the while usually containing Astons so not the lightest cars. Always running fast to tight deadlines and sometimes overweight, all over Europe. He buys new and runs them to about 200k, he loves them.

My own thoughts are they are very heavy ( two chassis !!) and thirsty compared to my TD5 engines. Nice ride though. Just not sure I want to be parting with 1k each time it has an issue.

A

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have run Discos since 1992, just sold the last one, a TD5 ES with 262,000 on it, the 200 before it sold at 275,000. Now running a Defender.

The Disco 4 (04 on) according to my independent repairer is a real money pit to be avoided at all costs. A friend has two, these run pulling big car trailers all the while usually containing Astons so not the lightest cars. Always running fast to tight deadlines and sometimes overweight, all over Europe. He buys new and runs them to about 200k, he loves them.

My own thoughts are they are very heavy ( two chassis !!) and thirsty compared to my TD5 engines. Nice ride though. Just not sure I want to be parting with 1k each time it has an issue.

A

:confused1:

Can I ask what you did to the hand brake?

Replaced the unit under warranty, its a £500 part, what happens is that if it is not regularly adjusted it winds itself right off the threads and self destructs. This won't happen with regular maintenance...

D4 best car I ever drove worst car I ever owned. Apparently mine has been a good one . I wish the bills came in £1000 chunks on mine more like 2-3 k bills. I don't think they make Friday afternoon cars they are all suffering the same faults. I won't bore u anymore an enthusiasts vehicle and a total money pit but great to drive especially the 245 bhp just need a trailer to collect the bits of transmission that fall off. As soon As I find something suitable ours will be going while it still drives.

D4 best car I ever drove worst car I ever owned. Apparently mine has been a good one . I wish the bills came in £1000 chunks on mine more like 2-3 k bills. I don't think they make Friday afternoon cars they are all suffering the same faults. I won't bore u anymore an enthusiasts vehicle and a total money pit but great to drive especially the 245 bhp just need a trailer to collect the bits of transmission that fall off. As soon As I find something suitable ours will be going while it still drives.

Pretty much what my brother said about his d3 so he got rid after 6 months and got a lexus.

He said It had the ability to bring on early bankruptcy :rolleyes:

These cases must be pretty unusual or they simply would not be as popular as they are.

Hi sky you can say that about evopue land rover that's very poplar but I no people with new ones that are pups mate to it mad there's better 4x4 out there ask Jon Wilson at jas p Wilson forestry they will you how bad they are pulling trailers if yours is a good then your ok but if not then trade it in very soon thanks Jon

They do (or did) a base model 5 seater discovery 3 with no air suspension, no active diff management and difficult to find in anything other than manual. A friend of mine has one and to be honest it's a rough ride compared to mine on air.

I would never go to a main dealer for anything other than warranty work on a new car. You pay a fortune for a beautiful clinical workshop filled with fitters not mechanics. The main dealer way is generally replace bits until you find the one that was a fault. They do not repair stuff and if the computer says there is nothing wrong then despite what you know as the owner you must be wrong. Find a good independent and you will save a fortune.

had discoverys since 1995 and every model, we have a 55 plate disco 3 been running it about 4-5 years now had a few bits and bobs but for the miles we do and towing trailers and large caravan and we regularly travel upto scotland and down to london it into the woods off road etc never misses a beat and so comfortable if the lads go off in it - its a landrover you criticise it you love it and hate it but nothing else would do the job as well on road or off.