Ethical dilema

benedmonds

Questionable work  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Questionable work

• Yes take their money..
    • No do the right thing..

A parish council has just asked me to tender for some work which IMO at best doesn't need doing and at worst shouldn't be done. They want to reduce about a dozen trees, including a nice beech 30%. We've done work for them before and I had accepted the pointless bracing and did some works which were dubious.

Should I tell them that the work is stupid and will cost them more in the future (as I would with a domestic client) or just get on with it? With the current economic climate and domestic work possibly slowing down. I don't want to turn down several grand of work.

What would you all do..?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This heres a story about billy joe and bobbie sue

Two young lovers with nothin better to do

Than sit around the house, get high, and watch the tube

And here is what happened when they decided to cut loose

They headed down to, ooh, old el paso

Thats where they ran into a great big hassle

Billy joe shot a man while robbing his castle

Bobbie sue took the money and run

Go on take the money and run

do the right thing but maybe suggest better ways of spending there money

if your right by your customer in the long run you will be better off and churches are a good source of work from the congregation so do the right thing you know you should or them pearly gates will be well and truly locked

I Agree with Bob

whos advised them of the current work ?

offer a professional service to do a survey with programme of works / recommendations

if that hasnt already been done

its up to them to choose which option & then if they still want the work doing you can bid with any other contractor they may wish to ask

imo

Parish councils are insurance driven nowadays, and as councillors can be held personally liable, they are sh1t scared, and trees as you know can inflict heavy damage.

Find out where the driver for this decision came from, then respond appropriately. If for instance some plonk of a tree inspector from the local district council gave it to them you may have an uphill struggle, unless you go and talk to the plonk.

It may be some misery has complained about the leaves falling off every year and creating such a terrible mess, and they get blown indoors every time we open the back door and I have to clear it all up and this happens every year, and I'm not getting any younger, and I have enough to do, what with having to bandage me ulcers, and my sister's got the same problem and she.............well you get the idea.

A parish council has just asked me to tender for some work which IMO at best doesn't need doing and at worst shouldn't be done. QUOTE]

how much of your % of tree work is work that actually needs to be done?

round my way most is just cutting trees for the sake of cutting trees.

one of my first jobs for a local parish council when i first started was in a church yard and they wanted the trees down by 60%..well i managed to talk them in to 30% i would of rather of done nothing but they wanted and had permision to take take them down by 60% being limes i spose it would not of mattered if i had but i would not of wanted to drive past them every day looking at mutilated sticks so i convinvced a 30% if they where going to do any thing...take the money mate and do the work again in another 6 years ....these people in councils have insurance issues and need the work doing its what keeps most of us in buisness.