Poor standard apprenticeship delivery

steve@black

In my experience (and many others) this profile of new employee knows nothing about real life working environments, getting the tickets in two and a half weeks means very little when you are paying out for damaged fences, sheds and equipment.

I've let lads go because they are careless ( expensive ), they have basic quali's but no basic training in WORKING

Much rather have someone who is trainable slowly by me than trained quickly by someone else.

I don't mean they're then qualified and should be sent out to do some tech rigging job. What's the use of a brash dragger that can't pick up a saw and whip off a fork before putting it in the chipper? What use is a groundsman in a 2 man team who's not aerial rescue trained?

Training starts on the job and imo, you should have this bare minimum of qualifications to get a start.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I answered a post on here early on this year from a guy asking for an opportunity for work experience with no previous arb quals. 6 months later he's self employed, trained up to 40/41 and was rigging out big lumps with me last week.

Nice one. I know of two guys who both started their arb career at the same time. 3 years down the line, one was a brash dragger who'd just finished his apprenticeship, still waiting on his college to put him through cs38 so he could learn to climb. The other was ticketed up to 41, lead climber of 10 staff, having paid his own way through tickets and grafted for any experience he could get.

Maybe it's the colleges output I'm more disillusioned with.

Nice one. I know of two guys who both started their arb career at the same time. 3 years down the line, one was a brash dragger who'd just finished his apprenticeship, still waiting on his college to put him through cs38 so he could learn to climb. The other was ticketed up to 41, lead climber of 10 staff, having paid his own way through tickets and grafted for any experience he could get.

Maybe it's the colleges output I'm more disillusioned with.

There's something amiss somewhere, maybe it is as simple as self motivation?

A lot of the funding has been cut for the additional certificates.

when i went and done my level 3 arb course the college would pay for two assessments, 30 and 38. The previous year the college would pay for a many as you could book yourself on to. I was very impressed with the lectures at cannington college but i was not on an apprenticeship

Self motivation seems to be a recurring theme throughout this thred. Those who push themselves, self fund some additional training work hard and show them self to be worth investigating in progress quickly and reap the rewards.

Those that expect to be handed it all for nothing and just turn up simply don't.

This won't be true for all as everyone is different but I see it in a lad I have at the moment , always asking when he will get payed more, when am I going to put him through his chipper, when am I going to this that and another...... Really starting to piss me off as he is 21 and still don't drive, keep telling him I'll do these things if I start to see more interest, enthusiasm and he pulls his finger out and finishes his driving lessons so I don't have to pick him up.