Poor standard apprenticeship delivery

steve@black

I have recently looked at taking on an apprentice and feel the standard of delivery of this course at both of the colleges locally is nothing short of shocking , one certainly of which I feel has failed its students in a shocking manner , ie no or little contact with students , students turning up and there being no lecturers .

Neither of these colleges are offering much to the students in the way of nptc certs ect until the end of the course.

My point after my little rant is has anyone ever tried to deliver the entire apprenticeship themselves as one of the above colleges is entirely work based learning and received the funding for such , to me it seems the colleges aren't doing much for the funding they must receive.

I might be barking up the wrong tree but any thoughts would be gratefully received.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young folk interested in this job just need the Arbtalk and Utube Apps on their phone and they are good to go.:biggrin:

I have a lad coming out on days for experience who has done a years course!

I'm currently trying to get him to unlearn stuff!:001_rolleyes:

He didn't know that the ZigZag had been recalled, the college made them all buy 1 in their climbing kit!!:sneaky2:

Now he has a credit slip after he sent it back.:001_smile:

I have recently looked at taking on an apprentice and feel the standard of delivery of this course at both of the colleges locally is nothing short of shocking , one certainly of which I feel has failed its students in a shocking manner , ie no or little contact with students , students turning up and there being no lecturers .

Neither of these colleges are offering much to the students in the way of nptc certs ect until the end of the course.

My point after my little rant is has anyone ever tried to deliver the entire apprenticeship themselves as one of the above colleges is entirely work based learning and received the funding for such , to me it seems the colleges aren't doing much for the funding they must receive.

I might be barking up the wrong tree but any thoughts would be gratefully received.

I wonder why that is..........:laugh1::laugh1:

My son has just completed the level 2 trees and timber apprentiship at Askham Bryan,very good communication from course tutor and chainsaw ,aerial rescue first aid ,chipper,climbing and chainsaw from tree certs gained in 10 months.

As his employer this has saved me a lot of money and because the course is run in block weeks it's quite intensive BUT you have to input time and the candidate has to keep up with work both practical and written.

My son has just completed the level 2 trees and timber apprentiship at Askham Bryan,very good communication from course tutor and chainsaw ,aerial rescue first aid ,chipper,climbing and chainsaw from tree certs gained in 10 months.

As his employer this has saved me a lot of money and because the course is run in block weeks it's quite intensive BUT you have to input time and the candidate has to keep up with work both practical and written.

Hi there,

Can I ask on the course how much practical time there was.? Ie using chainsaw ,,climbing??

Phillip that sounds like an excellent course and the type of thing the colleges should be offering , today one of the colleges here has backed out of of what little it was offering .

I am pulling my hair out , this lad really wants to do an apprenticeship but these places are a joke.

I have had this problem as well and it'll be the same ones no doubt. Just taken on a lad who was keen to do an apprenticeship but we decided between us that on the books was better all round. I feel that there seems to be a lot lacking with arb college courses in general presently.

It's not just the arb courses either , my missus is doing a animal management foundation degree at probably the same college your on about, lectures constantly cancelled without warning cos staff not turned up and no support or help , you'd think at £9000 a year they'd make a but of effort!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App