Anti vibe gloves

Robert_S

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did some research recently on havs for our upcoming health and safety audit, from what i found out there is no proof that anti-vibe gloves provide suffcient control measure for reducing vibration. Basically it may feel more comfortable but you'll still need to take regular breaks and not be able to use any power tool for a longer period just because you are using av gloves, i'e they offer no usefull protection.

I don't remember where the document is, i've looked at so much info my mind is a mess, but in can be found on the aie website.

I was given a pair of Dewalt glloves with big pads on the palms and fingers which seemed to make a difference- on cold days i didnt lose the sensation in the tips of my fingers driving home after using them, but the didnt stand up to cerious abuse tho. (granite!)

I've used both, and the timberland fingerless gloves lasted much longer. i think that they do reduce the amount of vibration because when my dog decided to eat one for his lunch, and i had the rest of the afternoon with only one glove, and i could feel the difference.

Slack ma girdle

i can spot a tree from 100 yards

I was given a pair of Dewalt glloves with big pads on the palms and fingers which seemed to make a difference- on cold days i didnt lose the sensation in the tips of my fingers driving home after using them, but the didnt stand up to cerious abuse tho. (granite!)

could that just not be down to the extra insulation the padding gave rather than the reduced vibration, after all thats why saws have heated handle.

reduce the vibration on the tool

new bg86 has full vib mounts that according to statistics can be used 24hrs per day without risk of HAVS

the old blower bg85 was really bad on vibration

stihl,s new range of hedge trimmers are really low as well compared to the others

the problem with vib gloves is they ate like trying to hold something with layers of bubble wrap wrapped around your hands so you have to grip tighter so the beniffits are less

replace kit as they are always striving to improve stuff

Keep your hands warm poss buy heated handled saws

keep stuff sharp

correct chain tension

saws sharpened properly with cutters even length

replace sprockets

maintain your kit

cheers guys a few mixed responses there, thats what good about this forum you genuinely get great advice.

ive had a HAV,s test done and im ok but i was gonna try them anyway ( probably go for the timberlands) you are spot on bob about maintaining the gear the blower is an old hand held stihl so i will replace that soon.

cheers