a question on morality

sean

have you turned down a felling job because you felt it would be morally wrong?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. have you turned down a felling job because you felt it would be morally wrong?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry chaps but some of the comments on here I cant believe :sneaky2:

So a lot of you are saying, if a customer rings you to price or inquire about chopping this, "Horrible" tree down that blocks all their light and makes a mess and that customer had just moved into this house and this Tree turns out to be a belting 800 year old oak and it turns out no-one has thought to TPO the tree, that you would take it down because if you dont someone else will ??

I'm afraid I've got SOME morals, the first thing I'd do as a responsible tree person is give them a rediculously low price, then when they can't believe their luck on how good a price i've given them, they book me instantly, I then would book it in 4 weeks time, then immediately I got away from them I'd ring the TO and get a TPO slapped on it asap.

I think if you would take down something like that for money for the simple reason that someone else would do it, then you are in the wrong job.

yes agreed but then if the tpo gets lifted im still in im afraid....i have a massive ash in a local beauty spot called ashwell springs....so called because of the ash trees around natural springs,in the last 20 years we have felled some very big ash now only one monster is left standing,i have been asked to keep an eye on it...half has disapeared when it split out so the remaining has been reduced by 40% this year massive inonotus bracktes have apeared on the good side of the stem....they asked for my opinion i said if you want to keep the only big ash left in that area dont ask me that question again!

I'm afraid I've got SOME morals, the first thing I'd do as a responsible tree person is give them a rediculously low price, then when they can't believe their luck on how good a price i've given them, they book me instantly, I then would book it in 4 weeks time, then immediately I got away from them I'd ring the TO and get a TPO slapped on it asap.

I'm sorry, but if thats your idea of "morals" its a strange one.:thumbdown:

You don't have a problem with lying then??:ohmy:

we all wish we could do what we want with 'the' tree(s), but we provide a service and have to do what we are told in away. to turn down a job, and leave it to a another company or the dreaded 'cowboys', is shooting your self in the foot. Of course with the exception of a tree with high amenity value, which can then have a TPO slapped on it and then we all can get a good nights sleep without the need of horlicks, even if we have less beer money.

Edited by lumberjack2

Never turn down work ......but i have put some extremely ridiculous prices on jobs.

So in effect i have turned down work on trees that i thought should not be removed.

That was when i owned my own business. That was my choice.

Usually some one came in and did the job.

Now as an employee i have some input but it is ultimatly the customers and the boss's decision.

We have some vague Heritage Listing of trees but no TPO's in Tassie.

At the end of the day a lot of my work is removals a lot because of poor species selection many numbers of years ago.

I"d rather remove than lop (top) a tree.

In any business looking after the customer is the main game and looking after trees our trade so getting that balance right will ensure ongoing success.

I'm sorry chaps but some of the comments on here I cant believe :sneaky2:

So a lot of you are saying, if a customer rings you to price or inquire about chopping this, "Horrible" tree down that blocks all their light and makes a mess and that customer had just moved into this house and this Tree turns out to be a belting 800 year old oak and it turns out no-one has thought to TPO the tree, that you would take it down because if you dont someone else will ??

I think if you would take down something like that for money for the simple reason that someone else would do it, then you are in the wrong job.

Customer confidentiality not a concern then?