VOSA landy and tacho

firewoodman

We came across a paper that said that of was not illegal to tow a 3.5t trailer behind a vehicle with a 2t capacity as long as the load it was carrying did not take the mass above the 2t limit of capacity allowed.

All very confusing at times. My Isuzu can tow upto 3t although towing a Quad Chip at 750kgs takes me into tacho territory!:confused1:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i interpreted the vosa web site when i looked into it, im pretty sure it said that you are exempt for agriculture and forestry and the products of both agriculture and forestry if they are your products, so as firewood and forestry men, i think we are exempt tacho for deliveries for towing - as i would understand??

I interpreted it that you would be exempt only if you're moving forestry products from land you occupy to other land you occupy in order to store or further process that product. So, cord wood back to base for processing = exempt, processed cord wood (ie logs) to a customer = not exempt; also, unprocessed cord wood delivery to a customer = not exempt.

It looks like there's yet more guidance come out on this recently.

More guidance :001_rolleyes:

"VOSA's guide to drivers hours etc etc for goods vehicles" Unfortunately, I can't open this pdf, probably because my computer's too old now, so if anyone reads it, I'd be grateful for any new insights..

I tried to download that document on several pc's and got an error message.

I don't do forestry work, mine is classed as agricultural/horticultural but you can move the produce anywhere within 100km that includes delivering to the end user.

I think the grey area is if you have to be the producer of the wood.

After speaking to VOSA about this it appears that essex police need some lessons on trailer law as they also reckoned that he was illegal because he was towing a trailer plated at 3500kg with a vehicle only rated to tow 2500kg trailer even though the trailer only had a mower that weighed about 250kg on it giving a total trailer weight of around 1000kg.

Yes, this little issue keeps rearing its ugly head on here and other forums. What action did they take?

The is the extract from the DfT website that I carry round for when it happens to me:

The maximum laden weight of a trailer which may be towed by a light goods vehicle depends on both the stated gross train weight of the towing vehicle (GTW) and the vehicle manufacturer's recommended maximum permissible trailer weight. Neither the maximum permissible trailer weight or the maximum gross train weight (the laden weight of the trailer plus the laden weight of the towing vehicle) should be exceeded. It is possible that the stated gross train weight is less than the sum of the stated maximum permissible laden weight of the towing vehicle and the stated maximum permissible laden trailer weight. In this case the towing vehicle and the trailer must be loaded such that each does not exceed its individual maximum limit and the sum of both does not exceed the maximum gross train weight.

Yes, this little issue keeps rearing its ugly head on here and other forums. What action did they take?

The is the extract from the DfT website that I carry round for when it happens to me:

The maximum laden weight of a trailer which may be towed by a light goods vehicle depends on both the stated gross train weight of the towing vehicle (GTW) and the vehicle manufacturer's recommended maximum permissible trailer weight. Neither the maximum permissible trailer weight or the maximum gross train weight (the laden weight of the trailer plus the laden weight of the towing vehicle) should be exceeded. It is possible that the stated gross train weight is less than the sum of the stated maximum permissible laden weight of the towing vehicle and the stated maximum permissible laden trailer weight. In this case the towing vehicle and the trailer must be loaded such that each does not exceed its individual maximum limit and the sum of both does not exceed the maximum gross train weight.

So does this mean I could tow a 2700 kg Ifor Williams plant trailer empty (providing its under 750kgs) on a post '97 licence?

I will be printing this off and keeping in the glovebox if it does!

They let him off of that as they had just fined him for no tachograph (how thoughtful of them)

I have since spoken to both vosa and ifor williams about this, vosa essex office said it doesn't matter if the plated weight is 3500kg so long as the trailers gross does not go over the truck plated towing weight, and somewhere I have this in writing from them.

However Ifor williams had a different take on it and said it appears that different counties have a different opinion on the law, and they are currently trying to get clarification on it, however if it is a problem they will make a new plate for the trailer, but it has to be fitted at an ifor dealer (iirc the dealer wanted £15 so get & fit the plate)

They let him off of that as they had just fined him for no tachograph (how thoughtful of them)

I have since spoken to both vosa and ifor williams about this, vosa essex office said it doesn't matter if the plated weight is 3500kg so long as the trailers gross does not go over the truck plated towing weight, and somewhere I have this in writing from them.

However Ifor williams had a different take on it and said it appears that different counties have a different opinion on the law, and they are currently trying to get clarification on it, however if it is a problem they will make a new plate for the trailer, but it has to be fitted at an ifor dealer (iirc the dealer wanted £15 so get & fit the plate)

That’s nonsense, it might be Ifors policy to supply the plate to a dealer who can then fit it but since the trailer is not subject to testing ANYONE can fit a plate and it matters not what it looks like as long as it has the pertinent information on it. You can buy plates on eBay

For example if you have a trailer plated at 3500kg a pre 97 licence holder can tow it with a land rover or similar but not with a vehicle of 5000kg since it would exceed the GTW for his licence category but if you change the trailer plate to 3250kg all is well. I know one chap that has one trailer and two plates he changes as need be.

That’s nonsense, it might be Ifors policy to supply the plate to a dealer who can then fit it but since the trailer is not subject to testing ANYONE can fit a plate and it matters not what it looks like as long as it has the pertinent information on it. You can buy plates on eBay

It's all a load of nonsense anyway, I wouldn't bother with plates to match the train weight now I have it in writing from vosa anyway.

Indeed it is ifors policy only to supply the plates to a dealer, although the dealer said we could keep the old plate anyway.

But yes you can fit a plate yourself if you want, if I needed one personally for £15 I would just rather have it sorted for me, I didn't think it was expensive by the time you take the cost of a plate and a set of stamps into account.

For example if you have a trailer plated at 3500kg a pre 97 licence holder can tow it with a land rover or similar but not with a vehicle of 5000kg since it would exceed the GTW for his licence category but if you change the trailer plate to 3250kg all is well. I know one chap that has one trailer and two plates he changes as need be.

That's interesting I had never really thought of going over the 3.5 ton gross towing vehicle weight.

So if I had a 5.5 ton 4x4 iveco daily coupled to a 2.75 ton trailer that would be a payload of nearly 5 ton and an incredibly sweet setup :) no tachograph but an operators licence needed

Now that is tempting.

So does this mean I could tow a 2700 kg Ifor Williams plant trailer empty (providing its under 750kgs) on a post '97 licence?

I will be printing this off and keeping in the glovebox if it does!

No, sorry. This is purely regaring the vehicle weights and not licencing...so is the whole thread as I understand it.

Thanks for the relpy Scraggs. And the beat goes on!!! If the Police and Ifor Williams don't know then there's no hope.

Legislation is supposed to be black and while. I accept that there might be grey areas, but this multi coloured!