VOSA landy and tacho

firewoodman

My brother was told by a traffic cop that he could drive for eight hours with a loaded trailer and the tacho switched on then unload it bringing him under the 3.5t limit and drive streight home again!!

That was in his old navara which had a tacho fitted, all new tachos have to be digital, he has been told by the tacho fitters and by Nissan that these can't be fitted to the new navara so he no longer has one.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, my understanding is:-

His GTW will still be the same loaded or unloaded as it calculated using the "plated" weights of the vehicle & trailer not the loaded weights.

Justme

Depends on what Tom D means. If he's unloading the trailer and bringing it back, you're right, he's not allowed to do that. If he's unloading it as in leaving it then coming back towing nothing, then he's ok.

When I was ringing around for my defender, I was quoted £700 for an analogue; another fella said it had to be digital, and he couldn't retrofit one on an old defender. Looking through some of the land rover boards, I don't think any one has found a way to fit a digital tacho to a defender..:confused1:

At least, from some of the postings, they might be accepting the 100 km forestry exemption.

It only has to be a digital tacho if the vehicle was first registered after may 2005 or was it 2006, if it was before that it can still have an analouge united fitted.

It is very possible to have a digital tachograph fitted to the new 07 defenders, I have a friend who fits tachos and he spent a long time with VOSA and Land Rover UK in birmingham coming up with an approved solution.

Alltruck in Leicester http://www.alltruckplc.co.uk/pages/default.aspx or 0116 232 5800 carry out installations for most of the land rover dealers in the midlands

It is true that Nissan and Volkswagen amongst others are having issues with digital tacho fitting.

• 1 year later...

I dont think this legislation serves any purpose at all. It makes it more difficult for a small business to tow a trailer which keeps the haulage companies happy. If the authorities want to make the roads safer I would say make 7.5 tonne ownership easier for small businesses. A 3 tonne load on a small lorry is much safer than 3 tonne behind a 1950 throw back 4x4 marina ( sorry defender ). The tacho system on a 4x4 is so easy to get round if you were determined to break the law, it serves no purpose just more euro rules gone mad. Its easy to preach when someone else picks up the bill. Its a shame we feel the need to penalise small business in this country, all most people are trying to do is earn a living feed the kids and pay the bills. The people we should crack down on are the dole fiddlers and criminals but then they are not such and easy target are they.

Its a shame we feel the need to penalise small business in this country, all most people are trying to do is earn a living feed the kids and pay the bills. The people we should crack down on are the dole fiddlers and criminals but then they are not such and easy target are they.

I know nowt about tachos but well said that man.