What tablet?

So finally somebody admits that apple are just as vulnerable as windows based machines to viruses........:sneaky2:

How do you work out that apple are cheaper? If you want a new hitachi CD drive for a mac (they arent made by apple, as are none of the other compponents BTW) you cant go into PC world and buy one and plug it in for tgens of £££s, you have to buy one that is still made by hitachi, usually identical to the PC ones, only you will have to pay (last time I heard £137) loads more because it is to be fitted to an apple product.

FFS this is the most ridiculous "fan-boy" driven nonsensical argument in years, driven by (mostly) people who have to justify the fact that the only real difference between mac and pc is that it comes in a fancy box and runs on a ripped off linux based system and has cost them a shed load of cash:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Its like dressing a landy up as a toyota and saying its far more reliable because it has a toyota badge lol

Hi,

You seem to mis-understand.

Apple is not vulnerable & never will be, to x86 viruses of which there are about 250,000. All computers are vulnerable to attack, to defend adequately takes knowledge of the OS & possible attack vectors. As Sophos AV is offered free to Mac users, it seems silly not to deploy it.

For me Apple is much cheaper through life, even though I was getting MS software very cheap via my business, to me it was a cost when you have to stop working & 'upgrade' your computer to discover software you relied on no longer worked. Its just like a saw that keeps going wrong & spare parts wont fit. MS became a leg iron & Linux or Mac offered a much clearer way forward.

Clearly you have your opinion, thats fine - enjoy your PC, but I dare say my 2006 Mac Pro will still be running long after yours are landfill.

N

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha yet another windows user making comments to justify why they don't have a mac.

In 3yrs of being all Apple I have never had a blue screen issue, never had a virus, never had to replace a drive. As I said earlier, they just work!!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I have an iPad already I love it but I'm going to need 3 for one for each team leader and they are going to go out in the vans everyday! So I don't want one of my staff breaking a 400 quid tablet!!!

What saws are you buying for your teams? STIHL/Husky or B&Q Special? :sneaky2:

OMG another taken in by the apple reliability gravytrain.......its only a samsung dressed up and overpriced........which wont run flash hahahaha

Reliability and security is mostly about operating systems and application (app store) verification, so the claim that Apple is just Samsung dressed up is ridiculous. Also, NO mobile OS's run Flash.

Hi,

You seem to mis-understand.

Apple is not vulnerable & never will be, to x86 viruses of which there are about 250,000. All computers are vulnerable to attack, to defend adequately takes knowledge of the OS & possible attack vectors. As Sophos AV is offered free to Mac users, it seems silly not to deploy it.

For me Apple is much cheaper through life, even though I was getting MS software very cheap via my business, to me it was a cost when you have to stop working & 'upgrade' your computer to discover software you relied on no longer worked. Its just like a saw that keeps going wrong & spare parts wont fit. MS became a leg iron & Linux or Mac offered a much clearer way forward.

Clearly you have your opinion, thats fine - enjoy your PC, but I dare say my 2006 Mac Pro will still be running long after yours are landfill.

N

Too true. Can't say my 2008 Macbook Pro is all that much better than the 2005 Powerbook G4 it replaced though. I'm not really a power user though (same as most of us in the outdoors trade I suspect!)

Morten's saw analogy is also bang on. There's a reason a 6 year old Apple lapton is still worth £3-400.

I have a Sony Experia Tablet Z and an iPad.

The Sony is brilliant - great screen, very light, splashproof and I like the Android system. However, in the end I bought an iPad too - because nobody makes decent bomb-proof cases for the Sony tablet. After dropping it once and chipping the corner I wasn't prepared to keep risking it with site work.

The iPad has been great. It's in a Lifeproof case which is drop proof and fully waterproof. The apps are also great. It's not as customisable as the Sony but overall it is a better option for me to use out and about - particularly as I also ditched my PC and got a Macbook so everything I do on the iPad is ready for me in the iCloud. Arguably it's no different than backing up with Dropbox etc.

If you want something cheap(ish) and reliable I'd go for an iPad mini in a Lifeproof/Otterbox case.

Too true. Can't say my 2008 Macbook Pro is all that much better than the 2005 Powerbook G4 it replaced though. I'm not really a power user though (same as most of us in the outdoors trade I suspect!)

Morten's saw analogy is also bang on. There's a reason a 6 year old Apple lapton is still worth £3-400.

Hi

The Powerbook G4 was a very good laptop & the rather slimline OS of the day made it fly. However your MBP should be quite a bit quicker, avoid folders on the desktop as it has to index all the files just use shortcuts/aliases instead & perhaps download Onyx & do some cache clearing.

If you havnt already maxed the ram then I'd consider an SSD Crucial M550 is quite a good one.

N

Hi

The Powerbook G4 was a very good laptop & the rather slimline OS of the day made it fly. However your MBP should be quite a bit quicker, avoid folders on the desktop as it has to index all the files just use shortcuts/aliases instead & perhaps download Onyx & do some cache clearing.

If you havnt already maxed the ram then I'd consider an SSD Crucial M550 is quite a good one.

N

Why would folders on the desktop be any different to folders elsewhere? Spotlight indexes all the disks unless you specify otherwise, AFAIK.