Back hander / finders fee

64treefrog

it depends on the whole situation , but one thing that really gets my back up is if for instance a manager for a larger firm asking for an incentive to pass work on . ive always been firm on winning work through price and ability to do the job , not just bypass others because ill put my hand in my pocket .

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big difference between a back hander and a finders fee, IMO.

A finders fee, where someone gets you to quote for a job that you wouldn't have got is OK.

A backhander, where a employee of an organisation takes some cash and gives you work is in my opinion well out of order and probably illegal.

I have heard rumors that this happened on a local housing corporation contract, we used to operate. Really bugs me when I see the poor works being done probably at a high price too... :sneaky2:

ive always been firm on winning work through price and ability to do the job , not just bypass others because ill put my hand in my pocket .

Sorry buddy, but this is called business.

If a manager is going to pass me £50k worth of work but would like us to give him some advice, prune a couple of trees, landscape his garden, whatever.

I'm happy, he's happy, everyone wins.

To pretend that this doesn't happen at every level in the whole world is a bit blinkered IMO.

From the tree guy doing a 'can you just' job.

All the way to MP's taking 'fact finding missions' it happens.

Never mind the bungs, freebies, whatever you want call them, handed to FIFA reps, FIA reps etc

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App

Sorry buddy, but this is called business.

If a manager is going to pass me £50k worth of work but would like us to give him some advice, prune a couple of trees, landscape his garden, whatever.

I'm happy, he's happy, everyone wins.

The company paying your bills doesn't win! If you are only win the work because of a backhander, the manager is stealing. A bit of advice is OK but anything beyond that is wrong IMO..

Our very sensible enshrined in writing rule in work is (local authority) a gift to the face value of a bottle of ordinary whiskey is acceptable, usually at Christmas.

Owt else is simply corruption.

I have managed to work within this rule for 30 years.

I have been offered a brown envelope(once only) and gracefully but firmly declined.

However from reps I hear the staff in my position in other Councils in NI (and they were named to me) demand a good "bung" for putting business a particular direction.

Simply quite shameful.

I do however understand this is not quite the issue being discussed here.

PS

Part of the Patton groups money problems were down to systemic/endemic graft and corruption and "back handers".

From a roofing contractor was was braced for £1000.00 a week to be on/get work on a Patton's site, this by the site Foreman.

Edited by difflock

Finders fee 100% ok if he's self employed, dead sensible from his point of view. if you screw up he's not in the frame ( unless he's careless )

If he's employee taking what my barrister friend calls " an uninvoiced commission " then he's dodgy....

IMO local gov't is now corrupt from top to bottom, I lost my job ( not in local gov't) when I suggested on-line tendering system that couldn't be corrupted ----

Before I went to uni worked as buyer for international construction co, head buyer told me they were ordered to rewire a factory , chief exec came down to see him and told him that the chief exec wanted a " house " for himself as part of the deal....

I haveworked with a lot of excrement

Load of logs, little bit of pruning/hedge cutting that's just showing being grateful for being put forward for work that outer wise you wouldn't get to see but cash bungs to win work over a competitor is just a no no but it happens and I'm almost sertin that's how I didn't get a few jobs over the last year or so ..

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

DN22 I don't think its a case of being blinkered at all..........more a case of moral fibre and just plain honesty. just because it goes on that makes it correct?

ask almost any guy who has had their kit nicked , do they then think its ok to help there selves to other peoples kit?

but according to you its goes on so its fine.