Why you should have to get certified before being able to buy a chainsaw!!!

arniecardigan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They diddnt have any 'certification' when I first used a saw; caution, an understanding of gravity & common sense was sufficient.

N

Unfortunately he had non of that either !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

They diddnt have any 'certification' when I first used a saw; caution, an understanding of gravity & common sense was sufficient.

N

Was helping my dad with a power saw at 15 years old with a husky 61, and still have no certificates for a saw. Still got arms and legs intact and most of my fingers left (log splitter) common sense works wonders, if only it was common:thumbup:

Was helping my dad with a power saw at 15 years old with a husky 61, and still have no certificates for a saw. Still got arms and legs intact and most of my fingers left (log splitter) common sense works wonders, if only it was common:thumbup:

Indeed, agree with above & IC Trees.

On a more serious note was wondering if the UK would benefit form a similar system to protect artisans in France, where if you employ any old Joe to cut a tree (or do building work say) & they dont have the relevant Siret number/quals along with 3rd party insurance for the job, then the householder as well as dodgy Joe can get totally in the **** & both end up fined lots of money.

It may sound protectionist & no amount of regulation would stop it happening, but Im sure if some one with the right knowledge made the proposal & enough people wrote to their MPs requesting a change in the law regarding this - providing they got it right (unlikely, since when do they ever?!), then it wouldnt be a bad thing & may reduce the all too numerous "got undercut today by..." type posts & maybe some of the senseless amateurs may retain the correct number of arms, legs & other bits.

Just a thought

N

Edited by NFG

Is the OP suggesting that ticketed arb types don't have accidents? Fortunately, I know very few ticketed arb types that have had a notifiable accident, be they serious or minor in nature. But they do have accidents; and some where bones get broken or worse.

Ok with hind sight it's easy to say, get some training or hire someone else to do the job, who has been trained. And yes I agree the fellow in the vid showed an unawareness of what might happen and subsequently did happen. But there have been threads on 'Arbtalk' with notifications that this or that arborist somewhere in the world has been injured. We, (in general) express our thoughts of what might have happened and express our well wishes and or sympathy. But those cases demonstrate, that training and good luck don't always go hand in hand. If only that were so...

Edited by TGB

Indeed, agree with above & IC Trees.

On a more serious note was wondering if the UK would benefit form a similar system to protect artisans in France, where if you employ any old Joe to cut a tree (or do building work say) & they dont have the relevant Siret number/quals along with 3rd party insurance for the job, then the householder as well as dodgy Joe can get totally in the **** & both end up fined lots of money.

It may sound protectionist & no amount of regulation would stop it happening, but Im sure if some one with the right knowledge made the proposal & enough people wrote to their MPs requesting a change in the law regarding this - providing they got it right (unlikely, since when do they ever?!), then it wouldnt be a bad thing & may reduce the all too numerous "got undercut today by..." type posts & maybe some of the senseless amateurs may retain the correct number of arms, legs & other bits.

Just a thought

N

In the UK, if you employ a tradesman without the appropriate qualifications, insurance or training you are similarly liable in case an accident should occur.

It is up to the person paying for the work to ensure the person they hire is suitably qualified/registered/trained etc, and has been thus for a fair while.

again this crap comes out....get it into your thick skulls once and for all...THERE IS NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT FOR ANY CHAINSAW QUALIFICATIONS IN THE UK....only advisory

Yeah there is, my mates doing life for using a topper on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk