Should I say something?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm busy enough to leave it but responsible enough to say. My local TPO officer said it was a un nessery reduction before when I did the TPO check. He might say something?? Not to sure really

It's so difficult to know what to do or say. But I get the feeling because you care about what you do and passionate about trees and there well being you want to say something? And if that's the case you should cause other wise you will always wish you had especially if you drive past the tree on a regular bases:thumbup:

Tricky situation.

If you are just concerned that the tree will fall apart and they'll need to deal with a mess that the take down that you quoted for would have avoided, then I'd say the same as the others and just walk away.

If however you are seriously concerned about it falling on someone and thus causing injury or worse, then I think you have no option but to say something. If someone was killed and you were certain that it was going to happen, it would make you feel terrible. It would need to be handled carefully though so as not to just look like sour grapes.

Went to look at a job a month or so ago. A large beech. The tree had been previously reduced (in a really bad way). So customer rings me which I was so pleased about because I've been wanting to work on this tree for years. I explain that 60% of the tree was dead which was obvious and the main cause is ostulina (apologies for spelling) so we spend a good hour discussing the removal or leaving a mono lift. In the end it was decided to use the main trunk and get it milled. The spalation would look amazin, plus keeping the wood to use for something that would last.

Anyway sent the quote in after getting quotes from highways and Weston power to drop lines. Customer emails back and says thank you for such a detailed quote and I will let you know either way, which I thought was nice.

So I drive past today and see that the dead wood has been removed and the rest of the semi good wood that is left is hanging over the road. All the main timber over balancing the tree. I can 99% say that some serious branch work will come down or the whole tree.

My dilemma is do I speak to them and say it has been left unsafe or just forget it.

I would post pics but as it is not my job I feel it would be inapperoiate.

is it the beech at stancombe ?:001_rolleyes:

if so have to agree its bad :thumbdown:and was wondering when there coming back to finish the job :lol:

I'd talk to the TO. If it's got Kreztschmaria to extent that its caused significant dieback you may want to read this; From Peter Sterken's ' A Guide For Tree-Stability Analysis'

In Fagus sylvatica, on the other hand, K. deusta can be very

effectively compartmentalised when the healthy tree has a high

vitality and high energy reserves. In this case the reaction zones are

moderately efficient, due to the abundant occlusion of natural

openings (pits) in the cell wall, the latter being the only pathway for

this fungus to spread from one cell to another.

If the stability assessment indicates that the tree is safe, then the tree

might be able to maintain an equilibrium between decay and stability

for a longer period. A long-term prognosis as regards its stability can

be formulated.

On the other hand, when the energy reserves are low (strongly

diminished vitality and/or growing under unfavourable conditions), the

very sparse anti-fungal occlusions in the lumina of the cells are not

able to stop the spread of the decay. Kretzschmaria. deusta is

regarded as particularly dangerous in this situation, impairing the tree

its long-term stability and fracture-safety even if the its current state is

satisfactory

IMO If you've knowledge that the TO may not have, regarding the condition of the tree, it's an ethical and moral duty to pass that on. If he does nothing, so be it, but you'll know - in the event of failure, that you did your bit.

If you tell them you've done all you can - no guilt if it puts bus load of infants in wheelchairs for the rest of their lives

I wrote to council about campsite where I inspected static caravans

First one was blown out to sea and sank half mile off the coast week before season opened

Second one was blown three miles inland and dropped on top of mountain week after season closed -

Both must have been hundreds of feet up in the air

Caravan site was scene of devastation, upside own vans etc

If it happened when site full of kids.......

So I wrote to council and said they needed better ground anchors -- nil reponse

What more could I do?

I would be on the forget it side, you gave the client a detailed quote after a lenghty discussion where you have discussed the tree in detail. however the client has rejected your advice and you proposal to remedy the issue, If you persue the issue now it will look like sour grapes on your side and any advice given will not be acted on. If there is a third party like your local council who could intervene then this would be my way forward.

we had something similar when a dead oak tree was dangerous, I met the owner and mentioned the tree was dangerous and was likely to fall, I was thanked but politely told it was none of my business. We were doing grounds maintenance in the area and over a coffee with the council supervisor I mentioned my concern, he then ensured the tree was dealt with and removed, we did not do the tree work but as the road was used by kids going to the local shop I was glad the authorities stepped up and got the work done.

People have been telling them for years to fell it, they don`t seem to want to. I took a huge amount of dead wood out of that for another company about 3 - 4 years ago, it has declined a lot since then. My feeling is it will be dead in another two.

You have given your advice, that`s the best you can do.